VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% IU vs State unemployment insurance.

Rate this question

abnrgr88

Question

just got 100% IU. Jumped outta too many aircraft and choppers...fast rope incl. im having major back surgery next month opening from T2-L2 with rod and fusion. they just increased back from 10-20%, before any knowledge of all of this. My questions are this A). can i collect state unemployment insurance along with 100% IU? B). Should i wait to file for SSDI until after back surgery? C). when should i file for SMC-S Housebound? Thanks for the help and concern.....RLTW

Gastone, i was awarded IU on a FDC earlier this month. last day of work before family medical leave was Sep 9th. i was raised t0 90% from 70% overall. raised my 10% rating to 20% for compression and disc bulging. What was not known at this rating time is i am having major back surgery next month. for a non diagnosed kyphosis/scoliosis. cutting open from T2 - L2. fusing in a rod. triwest is paying through choice program for private nuero.

A-88, you completed the IU FDC Employment Income app around what, 2/17? Nothing on it triggered any type of Award Problem. Were you receiving State Unemp comp at the time? If not, when did you start receiving it?

Semper Fi

Couldn't file for it because my employer saved my position. Until 6/1 this month. I was on FMLA until 11/16 then the afforded me accomadation of recovery time. The city I worked for doesn't pay into state disability just unemployment. I couldn't apply for that because I was "still employed". 

Are you now or about to start collecting the State UEC Comp? How long will you be able to collect before having to reapply for continued Benefits?

Any type of work is generally good for MH conditions, SC'd or not. Going back to work for short periods of time would probably be good for you and wouldn't  jeopardize your IU Award. if your former employer has to make "Special Accommodations" for you, all the better.

Just be sure to complete the yearly 21-2140 (Earned Income/Employment Statement) by your IU Aniversary Date each year.

Semper Fi

Gastone, i just landed my IU beginning of june. Not going to do unemployment, dont want to risk it. im going to file for ssdi. next month having major back surgery. gonna be a hard road. t2 to L2 rod and fusion. will file for a reavaluation afterwords. 20% is what my current rate is. major back surgery is going to be brand new. Not related to current 20%.