VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Trump Signs VA Reform Bill

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

It unamiously passed the Senate.  I wonder why this was not done, oh, say 20 years ago??  

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06/23/trump-signs-va-reform-bill-following-through-on-campaign-promise.html

Trump calls VA the "

most corrupt and most incompetently run agency in the United States

We Vets already knew that.  

Edited by broncovet

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Founder

We must remain watchful and alert each other of possible benefit cuts. The Administration, House and Senate all bear watching in these times. They are desperate to cut the budget and are looking for any way to do that, except for tax cuts to higher incomes - that they want to keep and increase. Go figure.

As far as I know, there have been "o" cuts to VEts since the Current administration got in at the first of the year.  Yes, there was talk about the IU fiasco and that the VA "the VA system incentivizes disability".  

I really dont like those words, either.  However, Im much more interested in what politicians, including VASEC, DO rather than what they say.  Secretary Shinseki made HUGE promises to reduce homelessness and the backlog and failed at both.  He was, however good at speeches.  

Sec. Shulkin is a Doctor.  And, like Trump, he should likely keep his mouth shut more.  

However, I think the "accountability act" is a very good thing and what the VA needs more than "more money".  Time after time, when VA ran into trouble they said "we need more money to fix......".  

Often congress did give them more money and they squandered that money, too.  VA does not need more money..they need a more efficient, and more accountable VA, to use the money they have. 

I have known people that are always broke no matter how much money they make.  

Oophrah apparently gave a homeless person $1million and, I think it was 2 years or less he had squandered it all and was homeless again.  

Throwing money at VA is not only ineffective, it seems to be often counter productive.  Congress threw, what, 8 billion at Veterans choice a couple years ago, and most of that was squandered on an over budget hospital in Denver.  Now that the "choice" money is all gone, the VA has all the problems it had before, plus a few more.  

I want to give Shulkin a chance, and not "hang my hat" on one or two sentences that he said that I dont particularly like and dont feel they are all that pro VEt.  

I bet most of us has said dumb things before that we would like to "reel back in" but we cant .  I know I sure would like to unsay some things..I wish I had a delete key

on my mouth.  Rather than destroy Shulkin on one or two sentences, Im gonna give him a chance to fix VA, and, I think probably the number one thing is being able to fire bad employees.  

I LOVE the idea of talking to a VA employee, and, if that employee is extremely rude, hateful, or tries to "con" me out of my benefits, I will consider reporting him/her.  

I also plan on reporting them if they fail to do as promised.    I want to put VA employees who deal harshly with me, on notice:

I plan on reporting lying, or hateful VA employees. TO THE WHITE HOUSE, and not to the VA Kangaroo Court, VAOIG.  

• Founder

@broncovet The cuts if any would not show till his budget was submitted. Shulkin has been tasked with trimming the Veterans Affairs budget the initial recommendations were the IU changes, rounding down the cost of living increases to the nearest dollar and capping GI Bill tuition on flight schools. Source: http://www.militarytimes.com/articles/trump-budget-va-boosts-benefits-trims

I am in no way suggesting destroying Shulkin over a bad choice of words, what I am saying is that all Administrations bear watching and listening to so that we can understand their thinking and which directions they are leaning.

I agree we all have said things we wish we could take back including me, however not at a Senate hearing giving testimony to congress, also I've never seen anything that states that Sec Shulkin thinks he phrased it incorrectly, if you have that please post the link because I would like to read and share it.

Homelessness you are right they didn't end it. Now they've changed the goal post "VA Secretary David Shulkin said he no longer sees zero as “the right goal” for his department’s efforts, and instead is focused on cutting the current number of homeless veterans down from about 40,000 to somewhere below 15,000." Source: http://www.militarytimes.com/articles/va-zero-homeless-veterans-goal-changes

I LOVE the idea of talking to a VA employee, and, if that employee is extremely rude, hateful, or tries to "con" me out of my benefits, I will consider reporting him/her.  

I also plan on reporting them if they fail to do as promised.    I want to put VA employees who deal harshly with me, on notice:

I plan on reporting lying, or hateful VA employees. TO THE WHITE HOUSE, and not to the VA Kangaroo Court, VAOIG.

You go get them broncovet, I am very hopeful that this change will bring some positive results. We should not be treated in such a manner and I welcome any way for their to be repercussions to the employees who think this is ok behavior.

I am glad to be in the fight with such a great group of veterans who care so deeply about each other.

• HadIt.com Elder

Basically incentivize means take away to find savings

in·cen·tiv·ize

inˈsen(t)əˌvīz/

verb

verb: incentivize; 3rd person present: incentivizes; past tense: incentivized; past participle: incentivized; gerund or present participle: incentivizing; verb: incentivise; 3rd person present: incentivises; past tense: incentivised; past participle: incentivised; gerund or present participle: incentivising

provide (someone) with an incentive for doing something.

"this is likely to incentivize management to find savings"

This is just my opinion,

I do believe POTUS will aim his budget cuts at the middle and lower class and find some way or another to drop some very important veterans programs.

I'm sure they think long and hard about Veterans retaliations.

He will leave the Wealthy & Filthy Rich Alone.

This New healthcare Bill  there(50 senators) to pass this legislation so many that have their doubts about that one too , but there making their decision based off Obama care and most simply say its better than what we been dealt.  eh!

I hope I'm wrong, but he President Donald Trump was ''born with a golden spoon'' in his mouth & truly don't know what hard times feel like.

We can't underestimate him & he has the White House in a up-roar more than ever before  simply because everybody at the white house wants to ''keep their jobs''  there no room for error in his Administration 

I believe there all afraid of that one thing(there high paying jobs)

When Money Can buy Power America is in trouble.

POTUS knows this too!

jmo

On 6/24/2017 at 7:27 AM, Buck52 said:

He maybe a great MD but knows nothing about the VA System or how to manage it and relies on others around him for support.(where is his leadership?)

He knows exactly what he's doing.

You're very right Shulkin's comments are alarming. He's attempting a 'cause célèbre,' laying the foundation for something.

However, you're wrong about the accountability act. You'll see the worst of the worst promoted- I knew an authorizer that literally denied every claim to get points- Did they know about it? No question. Kim Graves is still there. They promoted Helman to Phoenix after she'd been caught elsewhere. I heard Hickey was back. You get the idea.

What they will do is fire the guy who's trying to do the right thing. Don't believe me? Type 'VA Fires Whistleblower' in your search box.

You're also right to look back on things they told us, and weren't true in past.

T-Bird's advice about being vigilant is spot on!

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe everyone is afraid to stand up to the President and sit with him and give him the information he needs although the new president will sit and listen but if he don't like or agree with what anyone says  then he has the power to get rid of them(even though they may have high paying jobs they have family's to think about too)

now how the inside of the VA is manage is yet on the chopping block too this new act S- 1094 is yet to prove its self. (Again we wait and see)

This is the old VA Way & Unfortunately its true

''However, you're wrong about the accountability act. You'll see the worst of the worst promoted- I knew an authorizer that literally denied every claim to get points- Did they know about it? No question. Kim Graves is still there. They promoted Helman to Phoenix after she'd been caught elsewhere. I heard Hickey was back.'' You get the idea.''

https://www.whitehouse.gov/legislation/s-1094-department-veterans-affairs-accountability-and-whistleblower-protection-act-2017

Ms Berta will be on the hadit radio show June 27th at 7:00pm est to discuss this S 1094 Act the president just signed.  call in to ask your questions.

the radio show # 347-237-4819..Then select  #1

I just hope and pray they leave all us Veterans that rely on our compensation for whatever & I hope they leave us all alone, to many other things to be worrying about but this is the most devastating one.(cutting veterans benefits.)

in
Edited by Buck52