• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

• Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

HitemStraight

SMC for two single 100% ratings ?

Thanks Alex,

I was looking for your Mr Potato Head Illustration (good one btw)

Colawoman,

I am sorry to read your Hubby has ALS...all of these things we talk about here are basically to help him and his family out financially&after the 100% things get pretty complicated   and  We all Here at Hadit .com and also Asknod.Org hope the veterans & spouse understand this & when we get so for along on the disabled list it takes $$ for our care  and this is what the SMC is all about ( in my opinion) its the least our nation can do for these Veterans.

I wish the VA would just make it much more simpler to understand...Knowledge Is Power When dealing with the VA System.

& Asknod just gave us some great information.

Ad

Thanks Asknod, that sets is straight pretty much .... I think ;) 

Don't quite understand why the VA doesn't have some additional SMC ratings for guys (or Gals) who have multiple disabilities and ratings. I have one 100% ratings and numerous other ratings as well, many of which are connected to, and secondary to my 100% rating (I do receive SMC-S). My total VA ratings to date are 430% for multiple conditions. The highest (other than my 100%) is 70%, and I believe that might get an increase to 100% shortly. That is why I generated the question in this post. My most recent diagnosis could worsen to the point where I most likely will need permanent Aid & Attendance should that happen (hopefully, that is years away).

I understand and fully expect veterans with limbs missing and loss of eyesight etc, to receive the highest ratings and compensation possible. They surely deserve it, no doubt. I am not questioning that. However, some of us are suffering from debilitating diseases and conditions that affect our daily lives as well, and may very well wind up being fatal. We may be getting a percentage rating for them (above the 100% level), but in the grand scheme of things, we really are not being compensated for them. I receive monetary compensation for 160% of my overall ratings (SMC-S). That leaves 270% remaining that basically I am not receiving monetary compensation for. I can tell you, I suffer with that 270% daily, just as much as the 160%. As I sit here typing this, my hands are trembling from a neurological condition, and I can hardly hit the correct keys. I have a rating for this condition (one of the ratings above my initial 100% rating), but I am not really receiving any monetary compensation for it. It's just a rating on paper, period.

There should be an SMC sub-section that addresses these higher percentage ratings accordingly. I don't see this happening anytime soon, but, just saying ....

Some veterans are probably reading this and say: 'this guy should be happy and content with what he's getting'. I'm grateful for the VA compensation I am receiving. But if you think I should 'be content' with what I am receiving, then you are missing the point of this post !!!!

Special Monthly compensation was granted by Congress and they're pretty stingy unless we're talking about their paycheck. As for us, disability is a variable open to VA's interpretation. I find fighting them is like herding cats. They'll do anything they can to appear dense and dodge the problem. If cornered, they order up the wrong DBQ or do x rays and "forget" to look for SFWs-but manage to look for old broken bones. 

SMC will always be a fight. Getting what is properly owed is due to ignorance and oversight. Few raters are even familiar with it and often overlook obvious entitlement. SMC S, due to our efforts here and my site, is at an all-time high now. VA simply never looked to see if we were entitled to it. The M 21, which is supposed to "detect" it, never does. As for the higher SMC ratings, unless the disability is blatant, VA won't grant it until you point it out. Even then you stand a long battle establishing the true date your entitlement began. VA generally grants SMC the day you ask for it but the true date is medically determined by the evidence of record-often years before you discovered they'd been funning you over it.