VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SMC for two single 100% ratings ?

Rate this topic

Thanks Asknod, that sets is straight pretty much .... I think ;) 

Don't quite understand why the VA doesn't have some additional SMC ratings for guys (or Gals) who have multiple disabilities and ratings. I have one 100% ratings and numerous other ratings as well, many of which are connected to, and secondary to my 100% rating (I do receive SMC-S). My total VA ratings to date are 430% for multiple conditions. The highest (other than my 100%) is 70%, and I believe that might get an increase to 100% shortly. That is why I generated the question in this post. My most recent diagnosis could worsen to the point where I most likely will need permanent Aid & Attendance should that happen (hopefully, that is years away).

I understand and fully expect veterans with limbs missing and loss of eyesight etc, to receive the highest ratings and compensation possible. They surely deserve it, no doubt. I am not questioning that. However, some of us are suffering from debilitating diseases and conditions that affect our daily lives as well, and may very well wind up being fatal. We may be getting a percentage rating for them (above the 100% level), but in the grand scheme of things, we really are not being compensated for them. I receive monetary compensation for 160% of my overall ratings (SMC-S). That leaves 270% remaining that basically I am not receiving monetary compensation for. I can tell you, I suffer with that 270% daily, just as much as the 160%. As I sit here typing this, my hands are trembling from a neurological condition, and I can hardly hit the correct keys. I have a rating for this condition (one of the ratings above my initial 100% rating), but I am not really receiving any monetary compensation for it. It's just a rating on paper, period.

There should be an SMC sub-section that addresses these higher percentage ratings accordingly. I don't see this happening anytime soon, but, just saying ....

Some veterans are probably reading this and say: 'this guy should be happy and content with what he's getting'. I'm grateful for the VA compensation I am receiving. But if you think I should 'be content' with what I am receiving, then you are missing the point of this post !!!!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Special Monthly compensation was granted by Congress and they're pretty stingy unless we're talking about their paycheck. As for us, disability is a variable open to VA's interpretation. I find fighting them is like herding cats. They'll do anything they can to appear dense and dodge the problem. If cornered, they order up the wrong DBQ or do x rays and "forget" to look for SFWs-but manage to look for old broken bones. 

SMC will always be a fight. Getting what is properly owed is due to ignorance and oversight. Few raters are even familiar with it and often overlook obvious entitlement. SMC S, due to our efforts here and my site, is at an all-time high now. VA simply never looked to see if we were entitled to it. The M 21, which is supposed to "detect" it, never does. As for the higher SMC ratings, unless the disability is blatant, VA won't grant it until you point it out. Even then you stand a long battle establishing the true date your entitlement began. VA generally grants SMC the day you ask for it but the true date is medically determined by the evidence of record-often years before you discovered they'd been funning you over it.