VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need advice applying for TDIU

Rate this question

smith22

Question

Last month I went in for an increase for my back & Knees and new claim for tinnitus and PTSD.  My overall rating went from 30% to 90%   Breakdown as follows:

70% PTSD

40% DDD & radiculaphy of lumbar

10 % L Knee

10% R KNee (stayed the same)

10% Tinnitus  (stayed the same)

My effective Date is JUne 2016 for the above and received my letter in May 17 that I was rated 90%.   I am not sure what I should do?  I embarrassed to say but I am unemployed and have been for several years.  I will stick to facts and not life story.  We all have our demons! 

My questions:

1.  Should I just file the form 8940 thru my VSO and see if they award the TDIU?  Or should I file a NOD and file form?  Not sure what to do ?  I have called the VSO but they wont pick up their phone.  I am planning a trip there this week to talk her. 

2. I have not entered into treatment for my PTSD but plan to when I go to my next DR. appointment with VA.  (I am not sure if this will be a negative on my case).  I do not like doctors... I do not like talking to people in general....   Especially about my feelings.   Additionally, I have a personal belief of not taking medication because that is how my father died from opioid abuse.  So, I just wont take meds.....   I know everyone on here says you must show medical proof by seeing the doctor and meds you are on etc..  I just am not sure I can deal with a psych doctor..  NOt sure what to do here....  

3.  I have not filed for SSDI because it is hard for me to admit that I am disabled.  I am not sure that my rating would even qualify for SSDI (I am 45).   Criminal justice degree.   My lower back is really jacked up and recently broke my tailbone when knee gave out.  At the C & P exam the Dr did not have my records and MRI results showing Bulging disc, stenosis.  She awarded off of range of motion.  My questions should I file for SSDI ?   The combination of physical and mental has taken a toll on my me. 

4. I would like to know if anyone else has had similar case as mine and what they recommend I do.     Also have two young kids and would like to ensure my family is taken care of with benefits. 

I appreciate everyone's service and your willingness to support each other in this forum.   My only friends are buddies I have served with!   

thanks again

• HadIt.com Elder

Here is  a link from H &H Ponton Attorney's Law Frim about working while claiming IU or being on IU.

Good Information

http://hillponton.activehosted.com/index.php?action=social&chash=a5771bce93e200c36f7cd9dfd0e5deaa.48

I stand corrected  it is possibly to work and get IU.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

smith22

Are you S.C. for PTSD? or something else? Both?

What do you mean when you say treatment? physical treatment or mental treatment for PTSD?

I'm fairly sure Ms T is mening PTSD Treatment?

I get mixed up  Veterans Center  We have  two different meanings   'Here in Dallas we have a Veterans Medical Center  and Also a Vet Center   just down the road.

I get PTSD therapy session treatments at the Veterans Medical Center & Some get it at the Vet Center