VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Does the Disabled Vet have to ASK for Special Monthly Compensation

Rate this question

ValpoVet

Question

FIRST...."THANK YOU" all for your service to this grateful nation!  I am the wife of a Vietnam Vet, Navy.  

I "FINALLY"  got him to apply for benefits, (Intent to file 8-26-16), and he is to see the VA doctor tomorrow, Chicago.  (Ischemic Heart Disease). (METs 1-3) I have YEARS of private doctors records of when he had his heart attack 2004.  He had to stop working in 2007.  He had to wait one year, (NO INCOME) for one year until he could take early retirement.  

While I am doing all the research I can I am unsure as to 'how' or 'if' he/(me) is to ask for Special Monthly Compensation if, in fact, they deem his disability worthy.  

Please help me....help him!!  

Thank you all.  

ValpoVet- before I forget...did your husband ever have any VA claim filed prior to this one?

And if so was any rating percentage made under NSC for his heart disease in any past decision?

If so, that would kick in Nehmer (Footnote One) for the earliest effective date for the AO IHD.

In my case they had to use the earliest date the VA was aware of my husband's heart disease.

I am sure he will be OK at the C & P. I hope it will be done by a real cardio doc.

Hi Berta, 

Nnnooo!! ? I had a he!! of time getting hubby to file for this for "YEARS!" I threatened to pull his finger nails out last August to finally file. I had him in a clinic 2 years ago and the receptionist was so rude, (telling us we were in the wrong facility that hubby was "over it!"). UUUGGG!! 

We just left VA Hospital in Chicago and the doc WAS NOT a cardiologist! ? 

Hubby is not one to talk about what ails him...so I was kinda speaking up. I asked the doc before we left if he could see why hubby can't work and he said yes, but he could maybe do a desk job. (Aaahh NO HE CANT!) He can't sit long before he is dizzy! 

I took the application 'Increased Compensation Based on Unemploability' and showed him, but he said RO has to put that in the ebenefits. 

Why, (just talking out loud), didn't DAV tell us to have all this stuff done from the beginning with METS @ 1-3!!!! DAV puts one document in at a time and it keeps pushing the claim decision out and out and out!! I AM SICK OF THIS!! The VSO told us initially a 60 day decision would be likely...then they asked for another form then another and every time they add a form it pushes the decision date out!! Now, with this increased compensation form...it will push it out AGAIN!! 

Thank you Berta for helping me help hubby!!! ❤️

V, regarding the VA Direct Deposit, Bank or Credit Union account that you have registered for VA Comp Payments which will als0 include all Retro Comp Payments. 

My personal experience has been that the Direct Deposit Retro will be deposited in your Bank Account well in advance of an actual VA Award Letter arriving. The Retro Deposit actually hits the month before the New Comp Rate starts getting paid.

You certainly wouldn't want a Big A$$ Retro deposit setting in your Bank Account and not know about it. By Setting up your Bank or Credit Union Account to real-time Txt & Email you regarding all Transactions, you'll know when the Retro or Comp hits the Account. It's also a good protective measure to take against ID Fraud.

Semper Fi

L and Buck52...Thank you for this advice!!  I just set this up!!  

After hubby's VA exam we went over to the RO DAV office and they were "C-L-O-S-E-D!!"  They have told me that if I upload a document like I want to for; Increased Compensation based on unemployability that it will push the decision date out **A-G-A-I-N** I just don't know what to do!!  

But thank you for the advice on setting up bank notifications because we are pretty sick and tired of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.