VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

terrified about this

Rate this question

deerdown

Question

hi everyone I don't have a diagnosos for mst related ptsd they scheduled my cp exam for a few weeks away and I was told that I dident need a diagnosis? is that true? anyway what I'm terrified about is talking about the assult with the examiner!!! I believe I have evidence of the stressor.. suicide attempt but I was told by a few people in 91 and 92 that "men don't get raped son" or "he must have just made a pass at you" which was documented by the psyc guy.. also one njp for telling  an e6 to xxxx off...major decline in performance and eval record scores.,,,,followed by admission of homosexuality ...I was confused and wanted to get out so badly...no one believed me.  really hit the self destruct button after with documented assaultive behavior..,,,cant keep a job,,terrible nightmares,,waking up soaked in sweat if I can even sleep.. no friends 2 failed marrages ect..I used alcohol to help me cope with the symptoms when I wasn't in jail.

Edited by deerdown

• Founder

@deerdown the examiner can make the diagnosis, so don't worry about that. also I would imagine the c and p examiner will have no problem believing men can be raped. Sadly it's not as rare as it should be. Be honest, don't try and be strong, just be honest and let all the ugly show. The c and p examiner is making a decision about your symptoms and diagnosis, the examiner is not there to judge or demean you. Answer their questions as completely as you can, take your time. 

Check out these videos

• HadIt.com Elder

Good information from Ms T

It maybe hard at first but once you get going just be honest and tell the examiner everything she/or he ask  don't be ashamed  this ugly type of thing happens and it ruins a person life, it helps to be in treatment session VA has an excellent program for therapy.

Be sure to ask the examiner for her/his credentials   make sure their qualified to give a MST  PTSD Dx,( if they have it on there desk or wall plaque degree  or wearing a white coat that  then you don't need to ask.

12 hours ago, deerdown said:

suicide attempt

njp for ...

major decline in performance and eval record scores

followed by admission of homosexuality ... (confused and wanted to get out so badly)

documented assaultive behavior

cant keep a job

no friends

2 failed marrages ect

used alcohol to help me cope

jail

I'd echo T-Bird, in addition your list meets the VA's own guidance for markers of personal trauma. I'm thinking your documentation puts you in the slam-dunk category

III.iv.4.H.4.d. Secondary Evidence That May Constitute a Marker of Personal Trauma

• increased use or abuse of leave without an apparent reason, such as family obligations or family illness
  • episodes of depression, panic attacks, or anxiety without identifiable reasons
  • visits to a medical or counseling clinic or dispensary without a specific diagnosis or specific ailment
  • use of, or increased interest in, pregnancy tests or tests for sexually-transmitted diseases (including HIV) around the time of the incident
  • sudden requests that the Veteran’s military occupational series or duty assignment be changed without other justification
  • changes in performance and performance evaluations
  • increased or decreased use of prescription medications
  • increased use of over-the-counter medications
  • alcohol or drug abuse
  • increased disregard for military or civilian authority
  • obsessive behavior such as overeating or undereating
  • unexplained economic or social behavior changes
  • treatment for physical injuries around the time of the claimed trauma, but not reported as a result of the trauma, and/or
  • the breakup of a primary relationship.

15 hours ago, deerdown said:

hi everyone I don't have a diagnosos for mst related ptsd they scheduled my cp exam for a few weeks away and I was told that I dident need a diagnosis? is that true? anyway what I'm terrified about is talking about the assult with the examiner!!! I believe I have evidence of the stressor.. suicide attempt but I was told by a few people in 91 and 92 that "men don't get raped son" or "he must have just made a pass at you" which was documented by the psyc guy.. also one njp for telling  an e6 to xxxx off...major decline in performance and eval record scores.,,,,followed by admission of homosexuality ...I was confused and wanted to get out so badly...no one believed me.  really hit the self destruct button after with documented assaultive behavior..,,,cant keep a job,,terrible nightmares,,waking up soaked in sweat if I can even sleep.. no friends 2 failed marrages ect..I used alcohol to help me cope with the symptoms when I wasn't in jail.

TBird an others have given you great advice.   Tell the CP and any other doctor for that matter , exactly what happened, how it has effected you and completely answer any questions they have.  I am sorry sorry that you are going thru this... you are not alone.

thanks for  your advice. I actually did get a call from a va social worker today. they are working to get me in the mst program at Detroit va. also I'm now working with a private therapist supervised by a phd specialsing in trauma and alcohol abuse...she saw me for the first time today I was in the waiting room and she put her head around the corner and I about had a heart attack she supprised me...anyway  after 1 hour she did conferm what I suspected called me a textbook case of ptsd. just wanted a second opinion cause I don't trust the va doctors so I'm going to try to prepare myself to tell all at the cp exam.