VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea filed and sent out for medical opinion?

Rate this question

Stick Slinger

Question

After failing a sleep private study and required to sleep with a CPAP machine and meds, my private psychiatrist  wrote me a NEXUS letter linking the sleep apnea as secondary to the PTSD. Also I had my Dr fill out a DBQ also linking them together.

I have been waiting on them to send me info on when to go to a C&P exam but nothing yet. So I called my Veterans Services Rep and they looked it up and said they see where the information has been sent out for a medical opinion. any idea if this means NO C&P or if they are looking info to see if they will even schedule one?

thanks!

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I think the Sleep Apnea claims their cracking down hard on, if you have a nexus from the VA Dr and a letter from your pcp  that will help, however if you don't have any medical Documentation for OSA during military service  then they may deny on that bases  but  for secondary for PTSD will be a different baby  it all depends on how the Dr's wrote there nexus to connect, if they said 'related ''to (not the cause) your PTSD & From the VA prescribe medications & for PTSD (NAME THEM)  And the Dr's are officially qualified to give their opinion  then you may have a good chance...but look for it to be denied.....if you don't have any medical documentation for Any type of sleep disturbance while in the military.

1 hour ago, Buck52 said:

I think the Sleep Apnea claims their cracking down hard on, if you have a nexus from the VA Dr and a letter from your pcp  that will help, however if you don't have any medical Documentation for OSA during military service  then they may deny on that bases  but  for secondary for PTSD will be a different baby  it all depends on how the Dr's wrote there nexus to connect, if they said 'related ''to (not the cause) your PTSD & From the VA prescribe medications & for PTSD (NAME THEM)  And the Dr's are officially qualified to give their opinion  then you may have a good chance...but look for it to be denied.....if you don't have any medical documentation for Any type of sleep disturbance while in the military.

Yea, I figure it could get denied. My psychiatrist used to work for the VA and he wrote the  letter tying them together. IF it works out I will post the letter. I think this is a great site to share info so I am just trying to share what I am doing to hope it may help someone else down the road.

But getting to the original question, What does this mean? Are they sending it out and there will be a C&P later or is this in place of the C&P.. if anyone would know, or care to guess?

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes you will need a forensic C&P Exam for PTSD DSM 5  Diagnose (which you should have if your S.C. for PTSD? ) & file a claim for Secondary to OSA

I am rated at 30% for PTSD now and trying to tie the sleep apnea to the PTSD. My question was if they are sending it out for a medical opinion, will I still need a C&P exam? just trying to understand what is going on? 

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes 90%of the time  you will be sent a letter/date & time  for a C&P  & EXAMINER WILL READ YOUR RECORDS ask you some questions and opine on your evidence.

Slinger, by now I'm sure you've had an opportunity to review the SA Clinician's list (12 or so) of "Usual Suspects" leading to an OSA DX. The VA has a history of being very tight with OSA secondary Awards.

Aside from your PTSD DX, Rater will also look at your BMI, Neck (17++) and Tongue size. What was the effective date of your PTSD Rating and when was the OSA DX'd?

Could you post redacted copies of the Psychiatrist's Nexus Letter and DBQ?

This has nothing to do with your SC possibility, what were your P02 (Pulse OX) readings during your Sleep Study? Did they drop into the 80"s range?

While you await the SA SC Decision, you might want to review 2015, 16 and 17 BVA SA Secondary to PTSD Awards and Denials. Always a very interesting read.

Semper Fi