VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea filed and sent out for medical opinion?

Rate this question

Stick Slinger

Question

After failing a sleep private study and required to sleep with a CPAP machine and meds, my private psychiatrist  wrote me a NEXUS letter linking the sleep apnea as secondary to the PTSD. Also I had my Dr fill out a DBQ also linking them together.

I have been waiting on them to send me info on when to go to a C&P exam but nothing yet. So I called my Veterans Services Rep and they looked it up and said they see where the information has been sent out for a medical opinion. any idea if this means NO C&P or if they are looking info to see if they will even schedule one?

thanks!

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:42 AM, Gastone said:

Slinger, by now I'm sure you've had an opportunity to review the SA Clinician's list (12 or so) of "Usual Suspects" leading to an OSA DX. The VA has a history of being very tight with OSA secondary Awards.

Aside from your PTSD DX, Rater will also look at your BMI, Neck (17++) and Tongue size. What was the effective date of your PTSD Rating and when was the OSA DX'd?

Could you post redacted copies of the Psychiatrist's Nexus Letter and DBQ?

This has nothing to do with your SC possibility, what were your P02 (Pulse OX) readings during your Sleep Study? Did they drop into the 80"s range?

While you await the SA SC Decision, you might want to review 2015, 16 and 17 BVA SA Secondary to PTSD Awards and Denials. Always a very interesting read.

Semper Fi

Thanks for the info.. it was denied so I will do more research. Thanks for the advice..

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 7:14 AM, Buck52 said:

Yes 90%of the time  you will be sent a letter/date & time  for a C&P  & EXAMINER WILL READ YOUR RECORDS ask you some questions and opine on your evidence.

I never went for a C&P exam.. they sent the info I had submitted out for review and it was denied. I don't have the letter from the VA yet.. waiting to get it and look it over.

The Raters Denial discussion and stated "Evidence Considered," when you get a chance.

Semper Fi

I am kinda in the same situation...

My claim on E-benefits went from DOCUMENTS NEEDED FROM OTHERS: SUBMITTED, PENDING REVIEW, and today it turned into Request #2 DOCUMENTS NEEDED FROM OTHERS, PENDING.

My claim is for Asthma, Bronchiecstasis, ABPA, Sleep apnea and now Anxiety. I had a C & P already through QTC.

I called the VA, and rep told me it was nothing needed from me, that they are now waiting for a Medical Opinion and that it is internal.

I did notice that my claim for Anxiety was turned into (secondary) with the Asthma, Bronchiecstasis, ABPA, Sleep apnea claim. So instead of 2 claims, it is one claim with all the medical conditions listed.

Just wanted to share the update, and see if you had any input. This site is the best thing that is out there for Veterans