VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What should I do?

Rate this question

IYACYAS

Question

So I had a C&P exam today for ptsd, I was super nervous. They asked about employment and I told them I have worked on and off for the last few years for a couple different people and that I did odd jobs here and there. Then later she asked if i was employed right now and I said no. After the interview I was thinking about my answers. I just started working part time for my church, setting up for activities and some maintenance. I don't really have anyone over me and I don't have any set hours, its really kind of casual. I did not tell her about that because I didn't even think about it. 

So should I try and let someone know that I am working part time, if I did who would I tell, or just see what happens. It was a honest slip up 

Thanks  

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

First of all, Im pleased you even considered the consequences of your "error" in telling VA you are not working, when you have a part time job.  

I like it that you ARE concerned with the accuracy of your statments.  Many people are not..they lie and think nothing of it.  Like yourself, I do concern myself with the accuracy of my statements.  

My suggestion is not to worry about it, just keep in mind the future when you make statements to search your memory to make sure they are accurate.  

From VA's standpoint as far as TDIU benefits the VA makes a distinction between "SGE" (Substantial gainful employment, which is over the poverty level of about 11,000 per year, depending upon your number of dependents)  and not working.  In other words if you cut your neighbors grass and he gives you 25 bucks, the VA is not going to say you are "working".  It isnt "Substantial Gainful Employment" even if you did it once a week, and he paid you another 25 per week for shoveling snow in the winter months.  

However, if you are absolutely adamant you want your records corrected, you could contact your doctor and explain your misstatement, that you had forgotten about a relatively insignificant part time job, that wont affect your benefits.  

Im like you.  I want my statements to be factual and reliable, EVEN THO, like others,   I make mistakes.    The really important thing, however, is that you are forgiven.  And, you are, if you simply ask for forgiveness, from your maker, acknowledging your mistakes.  VA may not forgive, but your maker always will.  

Edited by broncovet