VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Possible new AO presumptives coming

Rate this question

Berta

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

It's been 18years or more since I was registered in the A.O. Registry.

I remember the Dr had a Vietnam Map and he looked at the location I was in  and said I met the A.O. Location in the RVN, different parts of the country was sprayed more heavy than other parts of the country, I was in the heavy sprayed parts, but this was like  48-49 years ago.  (Dang now I feel OLD)

I am not sure if its still open or an option for the Veteran? but I think it is open to all boots on the ground Vietnam Vets &Working on BWN Vets. (hopefully)

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

I just hope that Anthony Principi  don't have a say in the decision factor. He may have been a Vietnam combat Veteran and was lucky not to come down with any A.O. Diseases. (yet)  I just don't agree with his way of thinking. 

jmo

This explains the AO Registry:

https://cck-law.com/news/agent-orange-registry-health-exam/

It has nothing to do with compensation. And I am unaware of how it would make a AO claim go faster.

In a few cases at the BVA veterans were found to have disabilities ,via the registry,that ultimately went onto the presumptive list. But the AO registry report was not a formal claim.

Twenty years ago AO claims went faster because the VA had less claims overall to deal with.

NVLSP won Nehmer but ,like Rick Wiedman (VVA) and everyone else, they are waiting for the final results on the Secretary's decision  as to what will get onto the AO presumptive list and then will prepare a statement as to how Nehmer will impact AO claimants.

It is my opinion that veterans themselves, and their survivors can also have great  impact this issue. The Secretary is taking a different approach then Shinseki did. They can write to the Secretary:

Secretary David Shulkin                                                                                      

Veterans Administration

810 Vermont Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20420

And send a Copy as well to 

President Donald J. Trump                                              

The White House

1600 Pennsylvania  Avenue NW

Washington, DC. 20500

I sure will be doing that within a few days. Secretary Shulkin is a physician. He will get the medical points I can make as to 2 of the potential AO presumptives and why they ( or at least one of them) should be on the presumptive list. I have done plenty of research to bolster my position.

Vets themselves or their survivors , with anything that is being considered by the Secretary, or even if it is not part of the NAM review , that they feel should become an AO presumptive, should write to the Secretary and tell him why. 

This is the last chance for anything to get onto the AO list.

NAM is the former IOM.I gave a link to the report here yesterday in the AO forum.

Edited by Berta

Buck, we were on line at the same time and I just caught your comment on Principi.

"I just hope that Anthony Principi  don't have a say in the decision factor."

Yes he is an incountry Vietnam Veteran.

In my opinion ALL incountry Vietnam vets and their survivors can have a say in this decision.

They will contact the Secretary as I suggested.......

or they wont.

• HadIt.com Elder

It may not make the claim go faster just my opinion it will.

but the reason for a Vietnam Vet to get in the registry is

from the Link Ms berta just put up about the A.O. Registry

AGENT ORANGE REGISTRY HEALTH EXAM: WHAT TO EXPECT

THURSDAY AUGUST 17, 2017

Agent Orange Registry Health Exam: What To Expect

If, during your military service, you think you were exposed to Agent Orange or other herbicides, toxic chemicals used to clear trees and plants during the Vietnam War, you can request a VA Agent Orange Registry health exam.

The Agent Orange Registry health exam is not the same as a Compensation and Pensions Exam (C&P Exam) for disability benefits. To get VA compensation for a medical condition related to Agent Orange exposure (or exposure to other herbicides), you must apply for disability benefits.

''

Please Note''This is what I was referring to  not so much to get a claim in faster  it basically advises the Veteran if and when he ever comes down with a A.O. Disease.

But there are good reasons why you may want to get an Agent Orange Registry health exam. Even if you don’t have a known illness, the exam could alert you to illnesses that may be related to contact with herbicides. Additionally, by signing up for the registry, you’re contributing to a collection of data and information that could help scientists better understand and treat those affected by illnesses related to Agent Orange exposure.

I still recommend all Vietnam Veterans to get in the A.0. Registry  rather or not it will make your claim any faster is beside the point.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes I agree that all in-country Vietnam veterans should have a say in the A.O. presumption new list  but not any negative suggestions  such as Anthony Principi comments.

30 YEARS After leaving Vietnam  and not be eligible for the  Presumption? what if the Veteran comes down with a A.O. Presumption disease 35 years later.

or service connect the Gulf war Veterans first because Vietnam Veterans take to much time with their claims   grrr  to me that not fair at all.

he never said that but in essence that is exactly what he means.

'

But is VA studying more than whether to add Agent Orange ailments? Anthony Principi, VA secretary in President George W. Bush’s first term, argues for more sweeping changes. Like Weidman, Principi served in combat in Vietnam but believes the Agent Orange law went too far, forcing VA secretaries to build out lists of presumptive illnesses based only on suggestive links to their wartime service, and ignoring the impact of unhealthy lifestyles, heredity and aging.

Interviewed Tuesday, Principi said it doesn’t seem fair that an elderly Vietnam veteran can begin receiving more disability compensation for heart disease at 75 or 80 than a young Marine receives who loses a leg fighting in Afghanistan.

Principi said he wants “common sense” changes to the Agent Orange law so that, for example, diseases on the presumptive list are deemed service connected only if diagnosed within 30 years of a veteran exiting Vietnam.

There’s legal precedent if Shulkin were to propose such a rule, perhaps while adding hypertension to the presumptive list, said lawyer Stichman. In 1994, he recalled, Congress allowed such a “manifestation rule” for Agent Orange-related respiratory cancers. By 2001, however, it rescinded it on complaints by veteran groups that there was no science to support limiting benefits in that way.

'

Edited by Buck52