VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

"I've been service connected since 1975 and haven't recieved a dime"

Rate this question

WomanMarine

Question

Sorry for the 'wall of text' ... 

First off I would like to thank everyone for their service. Whether you served in one of the honorable branches or are just a contributor to this wonderful forum I have been lurking on, commitment to Veterans is valued. I am a female, Vietnam era, USMC vet. There are not many of us, as during those days they trained the women as the men, resulting in a high attrition rate. I believe it was due to this intense training that I am, in my old age, starting to feel the burn. 

I was never as proud as the day that my Eagle, Globe and Anchor were pinned on me. It was a lot of work to become a Marine and, sadly, it took its toll. During Boot I started having problems with my R knee giving way. I had this happen to me in high school from running track, but never did my knee cap totally dislocate nor tear my meniscus, as it did that night in the Leather Neck Lanes @ MCRDSD. I was seen the next day in Ortho and subsequently diagnosed with a Sublexing Patella (7244 EPTE) and awarded 10% disability.

This was 1975. Within six months after I was discharged, I got a good job with the railroad. The job only lasted a few months, as my knee went out on me while at work. I was seen at the V.A. in Los Angeles. They put a full leg cast on me, which I was to wear for six months. I applied for my disability then, but was denied. I do not recall the exact reason I was denied, but I do recall that there was an issue with my DD214. I had gone in initially as a Reserve, but later went Active. My last period of service was on my final DD214 but not my first. This required a correction and a  DD215 was issued. Finally the DoD did get my paperwork corrected. 

After a few months in the cast my boyfriend  removed it, as it was causing me back pain. We were both totally amazed to see my leg that had been hidden for over four months, as it was practically non-existent! It had atrophied beyond belief and took quite a bit of work to regain the muscle. However my knee did not act up for some time. The V.A. had stated they rated me at 0% and gave me a card that stated that I was service-connected. In 1980 my knee decided to go out on me again. And again I applied to the V.A. for my service-connected disability. Again I was turned down. And this time they wanted my V.A. service-connected card, stating I was not V.A. rated.

In 1993 I got involved in a new 'fad' called the Internet. I started building small networks. It was a great job, sitting behind a computer, watching my business flourish. In 2000 'dial-up' came to an end, with the prolific growth in wireless comms. My job changed from sitting behind a computer to climbing towers and high rises to install wireless systems.   In 2006 my darn 'Marine Corps' knee returned. It was not the sublexion I had experienced in years past, but more of a 'giving way' that caused me to fall down some stairs and injur my shoulder. By this time I had given up on the V.A. ever recognizing my 'service-connected' injury, so I just started wearing a soft knee brace. In 2012 I was climbing a tower and was 80' in the air when my knee decided to 'give way' ... That was a harrowing experience. If not for my safety harness I would have been 'splat' on the deck. I decided because of this I could not climb anymore. And because of this it cost me more to run my business. In 2014 I sold my business, as I was no longer capable of the physical aspect. I took a loss and now live on a small SS Survivors pension. 

The last two winters have been hell for me, as my knee has now developed arthritis and is causing me sever problems with my back. In 2009 I was diagnosed by the V.A. with DDD of the Lumbar. I am sure that my knee has contributed to this. Also I am now developing arthritis in my left knee. Last summer I tried to be seen for my back in V.A. emergency care, as I had a sever sciatica attack. I waited over four hours and finally checked back in with the ER only to learn that there was only one DR to see the backlog of patients. I left the V.A., once again disgusted.  

I decided last year if Trump was elected that I would re-apply to the V.A., as he made promises to clean-up the V.A. system. I reapplied the day of his Inauguration. I had my C&P last month. The C&P exam I found in MyHealthyVet and stated that my R knee was recognized by the examiner as:
'Recurrent subluxation R, Date of diagnosis: Right 1970.
Knee joint osteoarthritis, both knees, Date of diagnosis: Right 2017.

Comments:

1. Very mild lateral subluxation of the patella.2. Degenerative change involving the patellofemoral joint.3. Very mild degenerative change involving the knee joint.4. Very small knee joint effusion.5. Small popliteal cyst.6. Degenerative change involving the lateral meniscus.7. Degenerative change involving the medial meniscus and a tear involving theposterior horn of the medial meniscus cannot be excluded.Initial ROM R: Flexion: 5 to 110* Extension: 110 to 5*ROM L: Flexion: 0 to 115* Extension: 115 to 0*

No ankylosis shown in either knee. The examiner noted that my recurrent subluxation and lateral insability of my R knee are both Severe with recurrent effusion. The examiner also noted: Crepitus bilaterally with right more pronounced than left. Atalgic gait with increased weight bearing to the left extremity. Also noted was a recent X-Ray that showed degenerative changes and was noted as Mild degenerative arthritis. The examiner scheduled an MRI and X-Ray of my L knee. The MRI indicated a small effusion.  The X-Ray indicated Mild degenerative skeletal change.  Under 'Functional Impact' it was stated that I "must be afforded opportunity to walk on smooth even surfaces. Must avoid repetitive walking inclines/declines, stairs and the use of ladders. Unable to tolerate prolonged standing or walking. Unable to participate in moderate to high impact aerobics. Unable to tolarate kneeeling or squatting. Also noted in the C&P: Veteran had CT Scan 2012 Lumbar spine indicating L4-L5 vacuum phenoma, DJD with recurrent cronic back pain/right radiculopathy s/s. She is requesting consideration for a MRI of lumbar spine. Veteran has positive history of MST but "does not want to deal with it at this time".

After I read the report and saw that my status had changed from "Gather Evidence" to pending decision with a due date of 9/28/17, I became 'hopeful' that the V.A. was actually finally going to grant my service-connected disability. However yesterday that changed and hence the 'wall of text' I am dumping on your doorstep, in need of help. From my understanding they have sent in a request for 'clarification' from my examiner. As well they have not located my records from 1976 that shows when I initially applied and the course of action. They are now stating that my completion date is 1/18/18. I am well aware that the V.A. is like the military, hurry up just to wait. 

Is this normal that they would bump the date back this far?
AND is there any indication that the V.A. is going to finally do right by this ole vet?  

If you made it this far, thanks! 
Semper Fi!
WM

Edited by WomanMarine
typo

What will be, will be, right.

If you haven't already done so, ASAP file a VA FOIA Request by FAX or Delivery to your RO intake desk. Request "ALL your Military and VMC records in your VA Claims File (C-File). 

It took me about 14 m9nths the 1st time I filed A C_File FOIA back in 12. Just recently received my C-File CD from a VA FOIA filed in 11/16. An 8 or 9-month wait is not all that bad. GET YOUR C-FILE, then you'll know for sure what your VA Records hold.

Semper Fi

3 hours ago, Buck52 said:

Roger that

However the sooner the better you file for the HEP C, You can get Documentation with your VA Medical  so keep all as paper trail.

There's no limit as to how many claims you can file.

The 2009 date for Hep C for EED but actually this is also in question as  to when you caught it? You tested positive in 2009 and 20011 and they never told you?  until when?

Asknod is a expert on HEP C.

I was considered a 'first rate' 0151 in the Corps, I will square it away! I will always testify that it was the Corps that gave me the bit of grit that I recognize today. I just wish I would have came out of the 'fog' earlier.

I am anxious to review the 1975 medical records, which are -finally- on the way to me. I am not one to 'scam' the system, as the Corps did drill some values into my soul. But in the same token, I have a 'love hate' relationship with the Corps, as they took as much as they gave. But I am realizing that, in my twilight years, it is time to 'square some issues away'. And I believe the Hep C is on the Corps shoulders. As well, shame on the V.A. for not alerting me that I was a 'meat bag' of virus!

The V.A. knew from 2009 that I 'potentially' had Hep C and did not inform me till May of 2017. The least they should have done is give me a 'heads up' ...

2 hours ago, Gastone said:

What will be, will be, right.

If you haven't already done so, ASAP file a VA FOIA Request by FAX or Delivery to your RO intake desk. Request "ALL your Military and VMC records in your VA Claims File (C-File). 

It took me about 14 m9nths the 1st time I filed A C_File FOIA back in 12. Just recently received my C-File CD from a VA FOIA filed in 11/16. An 8 or 9-month wait is not all that bad. GET YOUR C-FILE, then you'll know for sure what your VA Records hold.

Semper Fi

Copy this Gastone.

I live in MO and am only 70 miles from STL. I plan on visiting and collecting my C-File. But am waiting for finality of this first claim, so as not to upset the apple cart.

OoRah!

WM, ain't no such thing as visiting an RO and collecting your C-File.  You have to either Mail or FAX the FOIA Request (Govt Form 180.pdf) into the VA. Then if you're lucky, you'll receive it in 8 to 13 months.

To make this VA FOIA Request for your complete C-File, including all SMR you need to Mail or Fax the FOIA Request, I faxed mine. mail or FAX to:

Department of Veteran Affairs, Claims Intake Center; PO BOX 5235; Janesville, WI 53547-5235

Toll Free FAX: 844-822-5246       FAXing got my CD (any C-File over 10 pages) in 8 months.

Semper Fi

4 hours ago, Gastone said:

WM, ain't no such thing as visiting an RO and collecting your C-File.  You have to either Mail or FAX the FOIA Request (Govt Form 180.pdf) into the VA. Then if you're lucky, you'll receive it in 8 to 13 months.

To make this VA FOIA Request for your complete C-File, including all SMR you need to Mail or Fax the FOIA Request, I faxed mine. mail or FAX to:

Department of Veteran Affairs, Claims Intake Center; PO BOX 5235; Janesville, WI 53547-5235

Toll Free FAX: 844-822-5246       FAXing got my CD (any C-File over 10 pages) in 8 months.

Semper Fi

Thanks Chief. You most likely are correct, as I did ask were some of my files were sent and 1-800 said Janesville. Thanks for the info!