VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need help with an SMC t appeal that may have been done incorrectly

Rate this question

SupermanCannedy

Question

Please provide advice on a good veterans organization or law firm with experience and a good rep. I filed an appeal, but am not sure if it was done correctly, so I elected to take the option of sending in more evidence to support the claim. Now, I have time but need an expert to help me succeed.  

The veteran is pre 9/11, so Wounded Warriors and their affiliate programs are not an option. We live in Austin, but are willing to travel to connect with a good representative. 

Thank You! 

Edited by SupermanCannedy

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Ok, I stopped laughing, finally.  There was a poster on another forum who always said, to the effect, you need a "good" VSO.  While that is true, its like saying the "key to golf is to hit the ball in the hole in as few of strokes as possible".    The trouble with finding a "good VSO" is that those are often so busy they can not or will not take your case, and they put you on a waiting list.    Instead, you will likely be directed to a VSO with an empty case file, probably because he or she is "new" or because he or she has a bad reputation and other Vets told this VSO to take a hike.     You "might" get lucky and get a good VSO who just finished up another Vet, but you also might win the lottery, and wont be needing or applying for benefits. 

Many of us Do NOT recommend a VSO for several reasons, the most important one being that our last VSO failed us.  If I had located and used this so called "good" VSO, my claim should not have dragged on the past 15 years.  

Consider a NOVA Veterans attorney, instead of a VSO.  Your Veterans attorney will have a dog in the fight, and your VSO wont.  You MAY not even have to pay for the attorney, because EAJA routinely awards attorney fees in Veterans cases at the CAVC.  

That is a pretty laughable thing to ask for, now that I think about it....

I was spoiled with the first two amazing VSOs I had in CA....very much like winning the lottery! Then, we moved to another state and found out the cold hard reality of being stuck with one that just didn't care. To be fair, the increase we are seeking is a tough one and none of the other VSOs in the area knew any more than the one we filed with. I did everything, except file the claim.

I also did most of the work when it came back denied and we made the bad choice to work with pro bono lawyers who offered to help.  They knew so little about the VA and even less about the SMC t. I am not certain another entity can step in at this point, but I hope they can look at the case and at least advise me in what to do next. I'll look for a NOVA veteran's attorney who is willing and able to work with me. 

Thank you for helping. We appreciate it. 

I WISH I WOULD HAVE FOUND THIS SITE WHEN I FIRST RECEIVED THE DENIAL LETTER!! 

Edited by SupermanCannedy