VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Am Recieving SMC S Housebound Award

Rate this question

RockyA1911

Question

I am already 100% and have been getting SMC S Housebound award since 2010 with large retro also.  After getting 100% for Head Neck Cancer in 2007 as presumptive agent orange and went through radiation and chemo treatments through Feb 2008, I got diagnosed with Hypothyroidism in 2011 and was prescribed Synthroid.  Last year in 2016 my Synthroid was increased from .025 mcg to .050 mcg daily.  Since Hypothyroidism is a know secondary effect of radiation on head and neck cancer treatments I had not claimed it or service connected it.  My VA doctors say it is a residual of radiation.  Is it worth it to file a claim for the Hypothyroid or just leave it alone, since I would not get any further compensation I would not think, or do I need to file it to have it listed as service connected condition any?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Personally I would file the claim.

You are correct as to the relationship of Hyperthyroidism to radiation.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26931197

Many awards of SC for this condition at the BVA were due to the veteran's exposure to non iodizing radiation...

But this award contains the rating schedule for this condition:

https://www.va.gov/vetapp14/files3/1422085.txt

ORDER

"Prior to February 13, 2012, entitlement to a disability rating in excess of 30 percent for hypothyroidism is denied. 

From February 13, 2012, entitlement to a disability rating of 60 percent, but no higher, for hypothyroidism is granted. "

I mentioned this Am in someone else's post, that we never know what the cause of our death will be, and I feel vets should seek a SC rating ,even if it will not impact their established comp award, and even if the rating is very low, because that disability could eventually cause or contribute to their death.

I made the point that,had I not filed malpractice and direct SC claims, and was left with a posthumous rating for my dead husband of 100% P & T solely for PTSD, his NSC 10% rated HBP would have never awarded me DIC.

However I proved the 10% HBP was a 1151 malpractice issue and the VA agreed that it had contributed to his death . (wrong meds)

You stated:

" My VA doctors say it is a residual of radiation.  "

It could be a low rating at this point but after I read the BVA case above I realised how it could get worse due to cardio involvement. I hope and believe that your hypothyroidism is well controlled. 

My point is, even though you are a Vietnam AO veteran, if you died due to any cardiac side affects of the hypothyroidism, the VA would not consider that as Ischemic Heart desease, for any potential AO DIC award to the spouse. 

Your surviving spouse would then have to prove the hypothyroid nexus to the cancer radiation. Not impossible for difficult for spouses to deal with,unless they get good advice.

You did well on your claim!  I hjope your side affects do not fall into the ratings they gave in the above BVA decision.

But with the SC rating, even if it is at '"0" SC, it could go higher as the decision shows, in time and can affect other body systems negatively.

I dont mean to imply you should worry about that and I know I seem negative,but I am a hardcord VA claimant and 

I am fully aware of how difficult it can be for surviving spouses when they have to deal with the VA. They also might have a vet rep ( I had a few) who do not have a clue on DIC or they might have to get a costly IMO, that by claiming the hyperthyroidism now, could be alleviated in the future.

Your docs agreed to the nexus. It should be a simple award, but maybe no comp, but will have  the " SC"  next to the rating, in your lifetime.

Can you tell us what the SMC is for?

Edited by Berta

Hi Berta and Broncovet,

I remember you both when I was going through it.  Berta this is what my SMC-S is for;

Head Neck Cancer --- 100%

TBI - 70%

PTSD - 70%

Skull Loss - 50%

Tinnitus - 10%

Scar on Head - 10%

Since I had one condition that was rated at 100% alone and other combined rated at 60% or more I was awarded the Housebound Award which is SMC-S and I got retro for the Skull Loss back to 1976 as it was determined to be an open claim because there had been a C&P and a decision was made for 50% but somehow it never got to the finance center.

The SMC-s was retro back to Oct 2007 when I was diagnosed with supraglottic (False Vocal Chord) cancer (Squamous Cell Carcinoma).

Another residual of the radiation they had been watching for was blockage of carotid artery and my left carotid artery was blocked 100% 2 years ago, the right one is ok and has good blood flow.

Since I am on medication and it has increased from when I started the meds 4 yrs ago, wonder what the rating would be.  Is there a S/C for blocked carotid artery due to radiation treatment nexus to AO Head Neck Cancer?

I had several C&Ps after my cancer treatments, 3 of them every 6 months and it was found I still had swelling or edema and a real gravelly voice of which I could not yell if I had to sound the alarm....so they made the A0 head&neck cancer permanent 100% with no future exams.

Edited by RockyA1911