VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Prostate cancer and agent orange

Rate this question

panseyjam

Question

My husband previously was seen in 2012 by a VA MD for the Agent Orange registry.  In 2015 he was diagnosed and rated for DMII related to Agent Orange.  We now attempted to file an online FDC for his newly diagnosed prostate cancer and quickly received a response requiring a medical opinion  the relating his prostate cancer to dioxin.  I called the 800 help number and the individual advised we just go ahead and ask our MD for the opinion, it being quicker and easier to just get the opinion.  Is there a better way to resolve this, either for our future reference or for others.  Seems insane.  Thank you.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Sounds like you got bum information from the VARO who sent you the letter requiring a "medical opinion" for prostrate cancer.  

Also, the VA employee you talked to apparently does not know the rules and regulations relating to exposure to agent orange.

Easy way to resolve this is to point out prostrate cancer is one of the presumptive diseases caused by agent orange.

What VARO are you dealing with?     You should not have to get an IMO for prostrate cancer.

Thanks, that is what we thought and were surprised with the answer from claims support person.  We did request a note from my husband's physician but in the meanwhile the  VA site changed, now stating there were no longer any requests for additional documentation.  Despite advising us to submit the MD info, the claims person had said it would be forwarded to the supervisor as it didn't make sense, but that it may take a couple days.  Hopefully this is now resolved.  Thanks again.

Thomas is correct, with incountry service-Vietnam, he has a "presumptive" disability.

Maybe you should send IRIS a complaint. Use the initials in the alphabetic code on the right hand side of the letter after the Re: (if they still do it that way)

because that is the last person who handled your claim.

I think VA is definitely under the gun for the backlog and might be training more people to do the job....

But dont feel bad- they denied my AO IHD death claim with a letter that said the veteran's SMRs revealed no IHD.

I said "WTF" in the most diplomatic way I could,  via a CUE claim within an IRIS complaint (reminding them that many Vietnam vets were still practically kids in Vietnam and it would be highly unlikely any of them had heart disease at that point.)and they quickly re did the claim and awarded.My husband was only 18 when he went to the Nam.(USMC 65-66)

I am concerned that if VA does add more AO presumptives in November, this  kind of crap might happen to many vets again.

I also wonder if literacy is a qualification to work at a VARO.  

My husband checked his benefit site today and now has 100% disability for prostate cancer-agent orange related.  Berta is probably right, a newbie as was so blatantly wrong.  Perhaps the phone support person's  'supervisor' researched it and removed the request before much reaction, and fast tracked the claim.  Done!