VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Second request: Medical Opinion Needed??? Anxiety secondaty to Respiratory Disease

Rate this question

sandiegonavyvet

Question

Good Afternoon,

I recently noticed an update on my Ebenefits account re: My claim for Asthma, Bronchiecstasis, Aspergilliosis, Sleep Apnea and Anxiety...

I had a c & P exam already (7/19/2017), and per the VA, they already have the progress notes from the doctor and the VA has reviewed it...C & P results received at the VA 8/1/17, and they reviewed them 8/11/17.

Now they updated my claim to: REQUEST #2 from VA Facility. When I called to see if there is anything I can do, or if another C&P is needed, they told me not to worry, because that is an internal request and they are requesting a medical opinion.

But I just received a call from QTC, they want me to come in for Anxiety C & P. What should I expect from this? 

I was just wondering if this is normal or if I am getting closer to a decision? VA has been very nice every time that I call them. I always have been respectful and they have been to me as well.

4 answers to this question

Probably the reason your question was not answered the first time, is that its well known ebenefits is out of date, and unreliable, so many of us prefer not to speculatate on what ebenefits is saying, because, well its like me telling you what to make of what my 5 year old neigbor girl thinks of my claim.  

As far as an "anxiety" C and P exam, our advice on c and p exams are not a lot different.  

1.  You should show up for the exam early, and prepared to answer a basic question:

2.  That question is "How are you today?"   Most of us automatically say "fine" but that may not be your best answer for a C and p exam, as you may be "backpedaling the whole exam.    Instead, you should use this opportunity to tell the reviewer what happened on your WORST DAy.    For example, lets say you had a panic attack on Thrusday, and you had to go to the emergency room.   So, in response to the examiner's question, "how are you?", a response might be:  "Im much better than Thrusday, when I went to the ER with a panic attack.  I dont know when the next panic attack will occur, but I also had a similar one last month that resulted in an ER visit"    So, have your answered prepared to the simple, "how are you".  Dont ever lie, but do not minimize your symptoms either (I am fine).  Tell the doc what happened in your worst day.  Everyone has good days and bad days, so if you are feeling great today, tell him about when things werent so well.  

3.  Take notice of the examiner\s name and credentials.  Important.  Its okay to ask him if he is a doctor, PA, nurse, or whatever.  I also think its good to ask him if he has experience treating panic attacks, and what that experience is.  Keep this information handy, it may be very valuable later, in case you have to dispute the examiners credentials.   Often, the VA pawns off on us unqualifed examiners, and this exam is valid UNLESS you dispute it.  

4.  Get a copy of the exam ASAP, its also even ok to ask the examiner for one.  He may not give it to you, but be polite anyway.  

5.  Be polite, dont exaggerate symptoms, but dont understate them either.  

Edited by broncovet

Also, it helps get more answers to be a little precise about what the topic is.  Dont say, in your topic heading, "need help".  Yea, we know you need help, but so does the March of Dimes.  

So say, "C and P exam for panic attacks".  We can not give "medical opinions" as we are not doctors and to get a medical opinion you need to go to a doctor.  

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:38 PM, broncovet said:

Probably the reason your question was not answered the first time, is that its well known ebenefits is out of date, and unreliable, so many of us prefer not to speculatate on what ebenefits is saying, because, well its like me telling you what to make of what my 5 year old neigbor girl thinks of my claim.  

As far as an "anxiety" C and P exam, our advice on c and p exams are not a lot different.  

1.  You should show up for the exam early, and prepared to answer a basic question:

2.  That question is "How are you today?"   Most of us automatically say "fine" but that may not be your best answer for a C and p exam, as you may be "backpedaling the whole exam.    Instead, you should use this opportunity to tell the reviewer what happened on your WORST DAy.    For example, lets say you had a panic attack on Thrusday, and you had to go to the emergency room.   So, in response to the examiner's question, "how are you?", a response might be:  "Im much better than Thrusday, when I went to the ER with a panic attack.  I dont know when the next panic attack will occur, but I also had a similar one last month that resulted in an ER visit"    So, have your answered prepared to the simple, "how are you".  Dont ever lie, but do not minimize your symptoms either (I am fine).  Tell the doc what happened in your worst day.  Everyone has good days and bad days, so if you are feeling great today, tell him about when things werent so well.  

3.  Take notice of the examiner\s name and credentials.  Important.  Its okay to ask him if he is a doctor, PA, nurse, or whatever.  I also think its good to ask him if he has experience treating panic attacks, and what that experience is.  Keep this information handy, it may be very valuable later, in case you have to dispute the examiners credentials.   Often, the VA pawns off on us unqualifed examiners, and this exam is valid UNLESS you dispute it.  

4.  Get a copy of the exam ASAP, its also even ok to ask the examiner for one.  He may not give it to you, but be polite anyway.  

5.  Be polite, dont exaggerate symptoms, but dont understate them either.  

Hi Broncovet,

I apologize for the late reply, I was feeling sick I ended up in the Hospital, and on bedrest for a few days.

Thank you so much for your input, you always have good feedback and it is much appreciated.

Very good info to know about the Anxiety C & P exam!

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:42 PM, broncovet said:

Also, it helps get more answers to be a little precise about what the topic is.  Dont say, in your topic heading, "need help".  Yea, we know you need help, but so does the March of Dimes.  

So say, "C and P exam for panic attacks".  We can not give "medical opinions" as we are not doctors and to get a medical opinion you need to go to a doctor.  

Got it. Noted, that makes sense. Thanks again!