VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Carotid Artery Disease and 38CFR Part 4

Rate this question

RockyA1911

Question

Today I claimed Carotid Artery Disease wherein my left Carotid Artery is 100% occlusion (Blocked) and it is listed in my VA records Problem Items and my recent Carotid Artery Disease Report recently in VA Notes of 27 July, 2017.  It states in that report that I had Neck Radiotherapy due to Larynx Cancer.  I have looked at the 38CFR4 and found Cardiovascular and the conditions underneath it, but can't find the disease in there.  Does Anyone know what it falls under and what the code would be for rating it?

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I do not have Coronary Artery Disease (CAD) or IHD.  The service connection of Carotid Artery Disease is DX secondary to service connected Larynx Cancer (Squamous Cell Carcinoma) which is presumptive agent orange head, neck cancer.  The etiology of the Carotid Artery, left 100% occluded was more likely than not due to XRT radiation treatments for the larynx.   I was a heavy smoker up until Nov 7 2007 and haven't touched a cigarette or tobacco since that day. Quit cold turkey without any aids at all........to this day I have never wanted one.  I made myself quit and stuck to it as I had promised Almighty God that I would never touch another cigarette as long as I live and it was a promise I just could not break........I was instantly free of cigarettes at that moment and never even had an urge or even thought about wanting to smoke.....to me I call it a miracle!

Will be interesting to see if the Rater buys the Rad Treatment Nexus. I could be mistaken, but heavy smoking from pre-66 up thru 2007 is going to be a real problem. problems. If you had a pre-Cancer treatment Carotid Ultrasound, showing both were Wide Open, that would be a different story. I'm not sure why, but the Right Carotid (at least with my Dad & Uncle) seemed to be the one with the most Blockage (80 - 100%), both were WW II Vets and heavy smokers up till their late 50's.