VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

"White House" Veteran's Complaint Line

Rate this question

Ascomdepot68

Question

Take this for what it is worth to you and do your own investigating.The “White House Veterans Complaint Line” at 1-855-948-2311 is staffed and run by VA employees who are paid by the VA and the complaints that you submit do not go to the White House in any form but right back to the very people that you complain about!

I have had two conversations with them, one on the 8/15/2017 and one earlier today 8/18/2017. I do not (knowingly) speak to the VBA either over the phone
or in person due to past experiences with them. Half way through the second conversation it came out that they are all VA employees. The person I spoke with said that they are (in her estimation) “volunteers” since it is additional work that they can take or leave at will. The first post I saw concerning the line gave the impression that it was to be an independent autonomous organization that was responsible to the White House. The staffing was to be veterans, the wives of veterans, etc.Neither of these two descriptions could be farther from the truth.

My complaint was concerning the VA's refusal to provide documents under the VCAA for up to 5 years, refusal to accept or even post a NOD received 11/5/2015 as a first step in an appeal on that refusal, and holding up processing Medical Expense Reports 21P-8416 for 2016 because I appealed the 2015 claim decision..

In the end they lied to me and were deceitful and only sought to get me off the phone with hope giving misinformation. They reported that I had been “rated” on 8/14/2017 when in fact my most recent claim issues had been denied across the board.

The is no “oversight” and as far as I can see no connection with the White House except in name only!

I am posting this to all blogs that I belong to or can join and I am writing an actual letter to the actual White House. Didn't work for the previous administration and have little hope now that it will under the present but I will not be ignored nor silenced

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

The White House is changing the format at that hot line #.

I called as an advocate and not as a veteran but they were able to get some of my claims info up on their PC.

They are going to staff claims calls with veterans themselves who know that claims system.

I had already written to the new Secretary and POTUS as to the issues I wanted them to know about.

You said "My complaint was concerning the VA's refusal to provide documents under the VCAA for up to 5 years, refusal to accept or even post a NOD received 11/5/2015 as a first step in an appeal on that refusal, and holding up processing Medical Expense Reports 21P-8416 for 2016 because I appealed the 2015 claim decision.."

Can you scan and attach here ( cover the C file #, name etc prior to scanning it.)  the denial and specifically about this part:

"My complaint was concerning the VA's refusal to provide documents under the VCAA for up to 5 years, "

??? what documents did you believe they should have provided?

As I understand the VCAA and the 5103 version, with it  they ask the claimant for more evidence, which they describe......not the other way around....

You're absolutely right. It appears we've been had. This hotline is indeed a ruse and a complaint to it does not result in the White House itself, ensuring that the health care needs of the veteran are met.

I've been advised more than once that it is merely a "call center" and the representative directs the complaint to the Chief of Staff of whichever VA Hospital you've complained about. The Chief of Staff then consults with the very same doctors who have neglected or abandoned the health care of the veteran. This is what happened to me as recently as two weeks ago. 

I have a rare condition called mandibular hyperplasia and maxillary hypoplasia, which in English, means that the left bone which connects my mandible to my skull, grew longer than the right, the joint grew bigger than the right and my maxilla didn't grow as much as my mandible. This has caused an asymmetric facial deformity, impaired my speech, masticatory function and not to mention, aggravated my major depression and anxiety, conditions which all oral surgeons involved, are aware that I am TDIU for. I have been trying to utilize funding from the VA, to seek care outside of the same, for on or about two years now. It started in Boston where one doctor tried for at least a year to secure this funding to avail and continued to New York. 

I have had to run from private oral surgeon to oral surgeon, only to be turned away once they figure out how extensive, thus expensive, restorative surgery would be. As I understand it, Medicaid doctors are only paid thirty three cents for every dollar. As a result, at each private doctor, I was sent out the door with all of my images, write ups, models and so forth, but denied explicit diagnoses or surgery.

I contacted the hotline as a last resort. The first time I called, the VA closed the complaint with an email I was never made aware of, until the second call, wherein I acquired about a status. At least a month after the second, I received a phone conference from the Chief of Staff, the very oral surgeon who argued with me and refused to treat me and I suppose the go-between. Although I had submitted radiographic images including an ICAT, CBCT, results of an MRI, SPECT scan, scholarly literature on my condition and a private doctor literally diagnosing me with condylar hyperplasia on paper, the Chief of Staff informed me that nothing was going to be done. He said that the VA doctors, had spoken to the private doctors- mind you without my approval under HIPPA- and as a result, they saw no need for surgery. When I asked him based on the explicit write-ups of the doctors and the literal diagnosis what was going to be done, he replied, "Nothing". When I asked what my diagnosis was according to what I had sent them, he said, "You don't have a diagnosis." They were all very arrogant and apathetic, speaking in smug, condescending tones, no doubt confident that their lack of action would not be called into account.

So you're right. This hotline is a hoax and does nothing to alleviate the mouse-in-a-maze treatment a veteran gets when doctors make decisions personally, instead of professionally. 

Ceph 2.jpg

Diagnosis of Unilateral Mandibular Condylar Hyperplasia.jpg

CBCT ASSESSMENT DESCRIBING SYMPTOMS OF UNILATERAL CONDYLAR HYPERPLASIA OF THE MANDIBLE.pdf

To Berta

It is my understanding the “hotline” became operational on daytime basis only on June 1. At that time it was my understanding, gleaned from blog postings, the news, etc that it may have been staffed by actual volunteers which included ex-servicemen and women, veteran wives, etc. On August 15 it became fully operational on a 24/7 basis. The second lady with whom I spoke told me they are all VA employees. I believe that the operation as it now exists is not what it started out to be. The reports that I now read speak of budgets, hiring, etc. Your opinion may be different, to that I cannot speak. The format has apparently changed, you apparently believe for the good, I believe not for the good of veterans.

I have also written to the past administration, to Secretary Shulkin at his DC office, and to Secretary Shulkin care of his wife, to my Senators, to my Representatives, to the VA OIG, etc. etc. and after years of trying I have yet to receive the first document.

I submitted VCAA requests on 10/9/2012, 10,29/2012, 2/20/2013, 7/26/2013, and 2/1/2014. Along with my latest claim filed on 2/8/2017 I combined all five previous requests, taking out some requests and putting in some others, resulting in a request of 155 documents in federal hands that I seek to prosecute my claim for compensation benefits. The five previous requests were submitted stand alone, the last as part of the 2/8/2017 claim package. I reasoned it would be harder for the VA to ignore the requests.

I will not be able to scan all of the requests as you requested but I will type out two as examples below.

#12 Copy of any and all unit roster(s) for 35th Ordnance Detachment (SAR), Ft. Benning GA for period 5/8/1969 to 2/26/1970. (Note; the unit was attached to HQ & Co A, 67th Maintenance BN, Ft. Benning GA.) Source: National Personnel Records Center, 9700 Page Blvd, St. Louis, MO 63132. For veteran use in development of evidence related to claim issues. (38 USC § 5103 A (a) and 38 USC § 5103 (c) (3) )

#89 Copy of ALL documentation/evidence of whatever name or description supplied or developed in furtherance of application for service connection for multiple myeloma by unknown named veteran C file # C 24 745 478 whom had presumptive service connection granted by Department of Veteran Affairs, Appeal Management Center, Washington DC by decision dated November 25, 2009. Such information to include ALL documentation/evidence submitted or developed from time of initial receipt of original claim and to include ALL subsequent collateral appeal(s) documentation submitted or developed. Redaction of solely personal identifiable information limited to name, address, date of birth, and or service number/social security number is permissible. Of particular interest is evidence supplied or developed that substantiated or verifies, the following . “A copy of the Unit history for the 335th Maintenance Battalion notes that herbicides, orange, blue, and monuron were used in Korea from 1962 to 1970 from the DMZ line to I Corp Headquarters and the 1st ROK Army. It is noted that the Maintenance units were located in Yongsan area, south of the Han River and north of Suwon, which is within the sprayed areas.” The veteran served according to the decision in Korea during 1966-1967. Also, of particular interest is, “Letter from the Department of the Army, Center for Unit records Research, dated July 23, 2008 notates and verifies that herbicides were used in Korea from 1962 to 1970 from the DMZ line to I Corps Headquarters and the 1st ROK Army and sprayed with hand sprayers and trailer mounted apparatus during the time period.” Note, this request also is for a copy of the remainder of the above decision letter. Source: Department of Veteran Affairs, Appeals Management Center, 1722 Eye St NW, Washington DC 20421. For use in development of evidence related to claim issues. (38 USC § 5103 A (a) (3) and 38 USC § 5103 A (c) (3). Also see VAOGCPREC 5- 2014 (1/5/17) REVISED (8/12/14) Duty to Assist in Seeking Records pertaining to an individual other than the Claimant. Note “unknown” veteran relates to someone other than myself, don't want any confusion this time!

On July 9, 2015 I sent an email to Ms. Allison Hickey in DC relating the problems I was having in obtaining the requested records. On 8/13/2015 I was contacted by a J.... S..... , a DRO with the Atlanta VARO at the direction of Ms. Hickey. After providing all requested information and a flurry of emails I was denied the records.

It is my position that any decision by the Department of Veteran Affairs is appeal able.

The following is what I consider a denial of the requested records: by email dated 8/17/2015) “At this time, we are not able to fulfill your request for the specific documents that you desire. After reviewing the extensive list of documents that you have requested, the documents can be described as documents that are (1) not in VA's possession and/or that (2) VA is under no obligation to provide under the VCAA or any other guidance.” written by J.S. a DRO with the Atlanta VARO at the direction or at least acquiescence of Allison Hickey.

Your interpretation of the VCAA is certainly different from mine. All 155 of the documents requested are in federal hands. I provide below pertinent portions of 38 USC § 5103 that I believe support my position.

§ 5103A. Duty to assist claimants ‘‘(a) DUTY TO ASSIST.—(1) The Secretary shall make reasonable efforts to assist a claimant in obtaining evidence necessary to substantiate the claimant’s claim for a benefit under a law administered by the Secretary. ‘‘(2) The Secretary is not required to provide assistance to a claimant under this section if no reasonable possibility exists that such assistance would aid in substantiating the claim. ‘‘

(b) ASSISTANCE IN OBTAINING RECORDS.—(1) As part of the assistance provided under subsection (a), the Secretary shall make reasonable efforts to obtain relevant records (including private records) that the claimant adequately identifies to the Secretary and authorizes the Secretary to obtain. ‘‘

‘‘(3) Whenever the Secretary attempts to obtain records from a Federal department or agency under this subsection or subsection (c), the efforts to obtain those records shall continue until the records are obtained unless it is reasonably certain that such records do not exist or that further efforts to obtain those records would be futile. ‘‘

(c) OBTAINING RECORDS FOR COMPENSATION CLAIMS.—‘‘(3) Any other relevant records held by any Federal department or agency that the claimant adequately identifies and authorizes the Secretary to obtain. ‘‘

My purpose was to raise awareness of fellow vets in posting the information. The “White House” line may have helped some people, all I know is it did not help me.

I have used the White House Hotline twice. Both times was in July.

I visited the RO in Nashville TN. to check on an appeal and was told that my file was not going to be reviewed for somewhere between 24 to 48 months. I called the hotline and explained my dissatisfaction with the timeline and brought their attention to a particular injustice in the previous DRO De Novo decision. The person on the line looked up my claim and agreed that there was indeed an injustice. I was told that my claim would be expedited. The next day I got a call from the RO responding to my hotline call. Two weeks later I was awarded SMC "O" and A&A at the rate of R-1.

My second call to the hotline was  to complain about prosthetics and the SAH process. Both were addressed and remedied in short order. The Hotline is the first avenue of recourse that the veteran has ever had to rebut the VA. It is not for whiners and is not meant to speed up the claims process, but it will help in the case of a clear injustice committed against a veteran.

Thank you Mr. Trump!

James said:

" The Hotline is the first avenue of recourse that the veteran has ever had to rebut the VA."

Indeed it is. I think a lot depends on how the veteran describes their situation. It is also very good news that veterans with some claims experience will be answering the claims related calls.

I was satisfied with my call to the Hot line, as an advocate.I also have had follow up work to do on what we discussed.

Ascomdepot said:

"Your interpretation of the VCAA is certainly different from mine. "

You are sure correct.

"All 155 of the documents requested are in federal hand."

Did you write to JSRRC yourself and/ or to the National Archives for # 12?

Have you attempted to get buddy statements?

Have you attempted to get your unit history and other info from sites such as Tghe site below

Have you attempted to use FOIA (Freedom of Information Act)?

Dont forget, James Cripps, the above poster,is the very first Conus AO veteran.

Also hadit member Kurt Preissman is the sole veteran who got the AO Thailand directive into the regulations.

They both aggressively sought evidence themselves, without depending on the VA, or the VCAA You do not understand the limits of the VCAA, as to what VA will do.

It has even happened that VA would say JSRRC could not find some specific record , yet if the vet tries themselves, they got what they needed.

What steps have you taken to get the same  information you requested from VA? 

You seem to have a C file # and part of a veteran's decision...how did you get that and not the rest of it?

http://www.military.com/unitpages/unit.do?id=107089

• HadIt.com Elder

A veteran I been helping for a few years I had him to call the hotline and within 2 weeks he had results....I don't know what all was said but apparently  it helped. (when nothing else would)

As James Cripps mention

'' The Hotline is the first avenue of recourse that the veteran has ever had to rebut the VA. ''