VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Awarded 100% for Heart Condition

Rate this topic

DICK HILL

I have not yet received the envelope in the mail.  I was on EBenefits today and it shows that VA has increased my heart condition from 10% to 100%.  The VA benefit information letter says “You are considered to be totally and permanently disabled due solely to your service-connected disabilities”.

The certification letter says the current benefit paid is as follows:

Gross Benefit Amount  $2,919.55

Net Amount Paid  $2,033.68

Effective Date  July 1, 2017

Combined Evaluation  100 percent

The questions that I have are as follows:

Why is the Gross Benefit Amount and the Net Amount Paid different?  Shouldn’t they be the same?  Shouldn’t I start getting $2,915.55 per month?

Does “totally and permanently disabled” mean that I will not be called in for any future examinations?

Where can I find information on other benefits that may apply to the 100 percent status?

Your comments and guidance will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Dick Hill

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
13 minutes ago, DICK HILL said:

Why is the Gross Benefit Amount and the Net Amount Paid different?  Shouldn’t they be the same?  Shouldn’t I start getting $2,915.55 per month?

Does “totally and permanently disabled” mean that I will not be called in for any future examinations?

Where can I find information on other benefits that may apply to the 100 percent status?

Congratulations on the win!

The gross/net has me scratching my head also, but I assume it could be related CRSC or CRDP (i.e. retiring from military and/or DOD). I assume the VA will explain their reasons when you receive your packet in the mail. Please see this link for more information. I personally do not know much about it because I am not a retiree.

"Totally and permanently disabled" usually means that, but with the VA "permanent" is not "permanent" as we would define it. From what I have read, the likelihood of future exams is very slim. However it becomes even less likely if you are 55+ years old or if your condition is significant enough that they do not anticipate it improving.

Benefits of 100%? Plenty of info here on Hadit. Just do a search for 100% benefits from the main page. I found this link which has a lot of good info: https://www.hadit.com/100-percent-total-and-permanent-service-connected-disability-additional-benefits

Additionally, there are these things too:
- Because you are over 50%, you can get treatment for anything at your VA hospital/clinics.
- Contact the VAMC billing office to see if you can be reimbursed for any copays from your effective date forward
- Plenty of discounts and freebies from stores and other businesses. I use the military discount at theaters, Home Depot, and AutoZone.

I think Dick Hill is a retiree.The formal decision will tell more.

10% to 100% is a big difference!

Your dependents should be eligible for Chapter 35 educational benefits.

I assume they might have Tricare instead of being eligible for CHAMPVA.

Was the entitlement date of  July 1, 2017 the day you filed the claim?

Did they ever deny any increase for  the 10%  heart disability in the past?

Thanks Bertha.

Yes the entitlement date is Jul 1, 2017.

No I have never filed for an increase in the past.  I recently was referred to a heart doctor by my Medicare doctor because my heart rate all of a sudden was getting over 100.  The heart doctor did an EKG that indicated I had a previous minor heart attack.  They wanted me to have a Nuclear Stress Test but I refused because of an FDA warning saying tests have caused people to have heart attacks and in a lot of cases the people died.  I did have them do a Ehco-cardiagram. so on 5 Jun 17 I filed for an increase.  It surprised me that they gave me 100%.  Now that I think about it, I remember you suggesting that I should ask for an increase about 4 years ago, but I wasn't having any problem at that time, so I didn't file.

As far as dependents, I have none.  My sons are 46 years old.

Again thanks.  Dick Hill  

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use