VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

retired v VA comp in ebenefits ?

Rate this question

RetiringArmy

Question

Hi everyone! 

80% and filing another claim. I get to this on ebenefits....ummm,
Not sure what to click. 22 years active retired, already above 50% disability. I am sure I am overthinking it. 

Side note: i filed for an increase for a claim that was awarded, i uploaded the dbq from civilian doc and a statement from myself and my increase went thru in less than 6 days. Wow

Btw, 2 vso's and 1 yes and 1 no

The question in text format:

Do you want to receive VA compensation instead of military retired pay?  if it is determined you are entitled to both benefits and you want to receive VA compensation instead of military retired pay, select Yes. If you are awarded military retired pay prior to VA compensation , we will reduce your retired pay by the VA compensation amount. VA will notify the Military Retired Pay Center of all benefit changes. 

If you receive both military pay and VA compensation , some of the amount you get may be recouped by VA, or, in the case of VSI, by the DOD.

Thank you in advance

Screen redmon.jpg

The rub is, if you take the question at proper English, if the Veteran is collecting retirement pay and is 50% or greater disability.  If the Veteran says yes, that he would like his VA instead of his retirement pay, the VA/DOD would stop his retirement pay.

What the question on the form is for would be were the Veteran can get 600.00 for his Comp and is 1500.00 for his retirement, if he marks yes, he would only get 1500.00 and 600.00 of it would be tax free.  That is what this question on the form is about.  I he marks no, he still gets the 1500.00 but pays tax on all 1500.00.

However, in this Veteran's case, the Veteran says no, then one could assume the Veteran is saying, no, I want both.  LOL.

That is why the form question is a trick question and should not pertain to Veteran's at 50% or above and collecting a military retirement.  It's just a question for those that are under 50% disability.

From what I have been reading, for a 50% or above Veteran, he will get both no matter how he marks the question.  But, don't go by what I say.  

Typical VA doublespeak,

Hamslice

When in DOUBT, check with a Tax Pro. Once you make the Decision, I don't think the VA allows for a "Do Over." VSO's, while meaning well, certainly aren't Tax Pros.

Does your Taxable Military Retirement result in a Net yearly income amount greater than $36K?

Don't step on your Johnson with this Decision. You have to know other "Lifers" that have found themselves in this same situation.  Do you still live near a Base, has to be a plethora of Certified Financial Planners nearby.

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm a little late

here is something that may help  clink on the link

http://themilitarywallet.com/withhold-va-disability-compensation/

Buck, EXCELANTO. In past 15 yrs, I've never hit that Link. Great info, and an easy read.

Should be a Bookmark Page for all Vets.

Semper Fi