VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Which is better?

Rate this question

Holllie Greene

Question

Hello,

I hope all is well.  I started to use the ebennies to fill out my worsening conditions but the ebennies pooped out on me.  Seems like a waste of time.

Any opinions on whether I should ask a county VSO for help or call whomever about ebennies?

Thank you.

HG

5 answers to this question

Neither are "great" options, but I prefer ebenefits to a VSO.  Here is why:

While either a VSO or ebenefits can result in a messed up claim, which usually maniftests itself with extreme delays, if YOU keep a copy of the ebenefits record of filing, YOU have control.   On the other hand, you dont have control of your VSO.  He may get fired, he may have health issues, including mental health issues, legal issues, divorce, etc, so your file may also "run amock" at your VSO's office.  

However, if your claim goes bad on ebenefits, such as a VA employee "closing" or deleting your claim without adjuticating it, you resubmit and send them a copy of the date you applied originally on ebenefits, along with an ebenefits confirmation of claim.  

If your VSO loses your paper work, or never files it, however, its harder to go to his office and prove he was incompetent, as he is unlikely to leave you a paper trail of his incompetence.  

How often would you see an entry in your file at your VSO's office that was like this:

Jan. 13, 3-17.   I, John P. VSO consumed too much liquor at the local VSO at approximately 5:20 pm and failed to get John Q Veterans claim submitted.  Instead, I puked on his claims file and had to throw it away because of the smell and my embarrassment.  

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with broncovet.

What do you mean E.B. ''pooped out on you''?? 

A Lot of times their down for maintenance. 

Even though E.B. have imperfections  its still the best and easy & fastest way to file claims. (jmo) (when you do it your self)

if your not familiarize with E.B. check with your local VAMC @ Myhealthvet Desk and ask a Volunteer/Or E.B. Clerk  to show you how the best way to use E.B. 

for Medical records (Copies or Progress Notes) or to file claims!

Always remember to make yourself copies of everything you do with the VA And put in a secure place for future reference.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

They never had E.B. when I first filed my claims, everything was done on paper and snail mail and we just had to wait for the VA to send correspondence , so now its all processed electronically (faster response)  now rather or not we like that response is beside the point.  eh! 

Its just a lot easier to file electronically.

After you get the hang of  E.B. you will love it. 

My Advise is Just read and reread before you hit the send button.

Which VSO or VSR assisted you with your 100% CSC Rating?

If you actually "started to use E-Ben," and began filling out the New Claim, then you've established the All Important File Date and have 364 Days to complete and hit the Submit Button.

Where exactly in the New Claim were you when E-Ben "crapped out?" What type of SC Increase are you looking at? Do you currently receive SMC S Housebound?

An E-Ben Increase FDC filed with copies of your VMC Clinician Notes supporting your claim for increase attached as pdf's, should result in a Decision within 2 to 6 mos.

As to VSO's, all State and National are there to serve Vets, but not all VSRs are equal. If you can find a well Seasoned National or County VSR that still has the Fire and knowledge to assist in your claim filing and follow-up, great. Just don't automatically assume you can rely on them for the full prosecution of your claim, you do so at your own peril.  They get points for Vet POAs signed and Claims Filed. Can't say I'm certain that all VSOs have any type of "Supervisory Quality Review " of Claims, Denials, and Follow-up.

Semper Fi

Hi All, Thank you for responding.  The director of the county VSO filled out the paperwork or EB for me about a year ago.  Ihad a C and P with a neurologiust at Palo Alto and in due course was approved for SMC L1 but receive the amount for L.  Whatever, better than nothing right?

The country VSO received a promotion and he is gone.  He had his stuff together so good for him.

The EB crapped out after I entered my name, social security number (oh no) then gave about 6 choices to click on next.  Never havng done this before I freaked out and backed out of the program.  Since I am cheduled for a meet and greet with yet another primary care I figured I would see if this brand new facility has a VSO to help.

I have local civilian doctors I have seen and I saw the VA neuro for 16 years solid before he retired.

Thank you again my fellow Veterans. 

HG

...now if I can figure out how to put my pic on the site i'll be sitting in tall cotton.