VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TDIU and the Poverty Level. Help!

Rate this question

SecurityForces03

Question

Hi All,

I'm currently 90% SC'd and in the process of waiting for IU to be approved. While I'd like to try and be productive and have a small job still, I've read that you can earn up to the poverty level.

My question is: Does the VA look at the poverty level for a single person or a family as it pertains to earnings for the year? I'm married with children.

Thank you!

Edited by SecurityForces03

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

''My question is: Does the VA look at the poverty level for a single person or a family as it pertains to earnings for the year? I'm married with children.''

''Thank you!''

If you have not been approved for IU   you need not worry so much about this until your grated the IU.

IU is hard to get especially if your still working?

if you are you are working your probably going to be surprised if your denied.

Never put the cart before the horse.

I'm definitely unemployed. I've been dealing with the VA since 2007, been through appeals, before a judge, seen a lot.

Im just trying to see if I worked ever again, is it the poverty level for a family of 5, since I'm married with kids? Or is it for a single person.

As to IU, it's all about your personal ability (nothing to do with Spouses income or the number of dependents) to earn above the VA SGI (Earned Income above $12,400, read someplace here on Hadit that it's now $12,800 per Year), under 65 Yrs old.

Have you obtained the "All Important" VA Vocational Rehabilitation Dept Denial Letter stating that you're currently ineligible for any type of VR Training to include even sedentary work, based solely on your Service connected disabilities? If not, get it.

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

Gastone  Actually  IU Does pay  Additional Allowance for dependents , Your right about the spouse income  that don't matter as for as a Veteran on IU.

What I don't understand  if this Veteran is working  how will he be Awarded IU?

3 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

Gastone  Actually  IU Does pay  Additional Allowance for dependents , Your right about the spouse income  that don't matter as for as a Veteran on IU.

What I don't understand  if this Veteran is working  how will he be Awarded IU?

I'm not working!

All levels of Comp including the 100% Rate paid to IU Vets definitely takes into consideration a spouse & children, as is clearly stated on the Comp Rate Charts.

As to the Vet's SGI, the actual IU Award does not take into consideration the Vet's Spouse, her individual Earned Income or the number of kids under 18 in the family. The SGI fora Vet under 65 remains the same $12,400 ($12,800?).  The same holds true for a Hearing Advancement, Family make up is not (1) of the (3) Hardship criteria for an advancement.

Semper Fi