VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P for Neck and Back Pain

Rate this question

Rodney Horn

Question

I have a C&P coming up in October for Neck/Back pains. While in Iraq in 2004, I fell off of a 916 semi-truck and have buddy statements to verify this. I also have medical proof that I went to the TMC in theater and it was considered a "sprain" and was given light duty for a few days. When I returned home in 2005, I went to the VA and had MRI's done that confirmed I had a bulging disc going away from my spine. Since 2005, I have dealt with varying levels and range of motion and pain. My family doctor wrote a statement for me that he has been treating me for a Bulging Disc and believes that is it Service Connected. My Family Doctor is also a DR in the Army Reserves. My concern is that I have constant lower back pain due to the bulging disc, but if forced to try and ignore the pain, my ROM may appear to be better than it is, tat is if PAIN is not considered a high priority.

I have read on many forums that ROM is the main test used to determine a SC rating, but if that range is done in PAIN, will they take that into consideration. I do not want to do anything that would seem shady or lying, I simply want what  is owed to me for my service and the injuries I incurred while in theater. Should I state that I have constant lower back pain in varying levels of pain when testing my ROM? I'm concerned after reading many post that pain is not the primary assessment tool used but rather ROM. If your able to move your neck and back but am always in pain, what's that say? Should I stop when the pain occurs?

Thank you,

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

6 hours ago, Rodney Horn said:

I have a C&P coming up in October for Neck/Back pains. While in Iraq in 2004, I fell off of a 916 semi-truck and have buddy statements to verify this. I also have medical proof that I went to the TMC in theater and it was considered a "sprain" and was given light duty for a few days. When I returned home in 2005, I went to the VA and had MRI's done that confirmed I had a bulging disc going away from my spine. Since 2005, I have dealt with varying levels and range of motion and pain. My family doctor wrote a statement for me that he has been treating me for a Bulging Disc and believes that is it Service Connected. My Family Doctor is also a DR in the Army Reserves. My concern is that I have constant lower back pain due to the bulging disc, but if forced to try and ignore the pain, my ROM may appear to be better than it is, tat is if PAIN is not considered a high priority.

I have read on many forums that ROM is the main test used to determine a SC rating, but if that range is done in PAIN, will they take that into consideration. I do not want to do anything that would seem shady or lying, I simply want what  is owed to me for my service and the injuries I incurred while in theater. Should I state that I have constant lower back pain in varying levels of pain when testing my ROM? I'm concerned after reading many post that pain is not the primary assessment tool used but rather ROM. If your able to move your neck and back but am always in pain, what's that say? Should I stop when the pain occurs?

Thank you,

I just had a C&P for lower back & cervical spine and there was much involved. ROM test at the very end of the visit which was a total of 1.5 hrs, it was a second exam because the first doctor pencil whipped the paperwork and I found many discrepancies. I filed a complaint with the patient advocates office right away and that led to the new exam. Second doc was cool a retired rear admiral however he wanted a detailed time line of care for my back after service which was quite difficult considering it was back in 1975!

He wanted to know specifics of the work that I did and how I managed to do things with a back injury, I explained flair ups and that I couldn't work for as many days that I did on average. I too had been written off as a sprain so very little backup in my C file. I brought a recent 5 year history with me as well as doctors notes for the visits or MRI reports etc.

I also provided him with a copy of my nexus letter from Dr. David Anaise all 46 pages! He told me he would give that weight in his decision. I feel confident that my C&P went well but I will caution you don't try to bullshit the examiner, my first examiner could have cared less, the second Doctor did care but he wanted a detailed timeline of medical care, work history and my ability to perform when I had good days.

My IMO (Nexus) cost me $1500.00 and hopefully it will solidify my case but without it, probably not. Good luck brother!

Edited by RVoorhis

Thank you and I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Certainly have NO plans on trying to BS the doctor. I have basically been taking muscle relaxers and some other meds to reduce pains, but nothing like Vicodin (nor do I want to) but for the most part, been dealing with the pain. Thankfully, my bulging disc is going away from my spine so it's not as bad as if it was intruding into my spine. None the less, I have constant pain on a daily basis and bending over forward such to tie my shoe's etc is where the pain is most intense. My injury happened while in theater, I have medical proof as well as witness statements from buddies and platoon Sergent stating these facts and the limitations this injury caused while in Iraq. I just fear that being in pain is not going to be enough to get SC if I my ROM is considered somewhat normal even while doing so in great pain... Am I making sense?

Just not sure if I should tell the doctor that doing this or that is causing me discomfort/pain...Because it's always there and intensifies when I try to bend over forwards....
Thank you again for responding.

Edited by Rodney Horn
adding more info