• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

•  ad-free-subscription-002.jpeg     fund-the-site.jpg

• Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

John Royal

GERD (AKA REFLUX) DIAGNOSIS

Question

Greetings,

Looking for guidance on whether I should file a Secondary Claim for GERD due to its possible connection to my SC Sleep Apnea. The information below is taken from VA Medical Record PCM notes.VA Medical

Patient consumed the effervescent granules for esophageal distention. Patient subsequently consumed thick barium material. There is no focal stricture, discrete ulceration, or mass effect on the esophagus. Normal transit of contrast through

the lower esophageal sphincter. There was however low-grade reflux in the lower third of the esophagus. Small hiatal hernia.

Any guidance is most greatly appreciated!

JR

The upper GI notes you posted indicate that you do have GERD, but expect the VA to ask how your sleep apnea resulted in GERD. It might be worth looking at your other SC disabilities and the medication used to treat them. GERD is a common side effect of medications used to treat other issues. For example, the military and VA are famous for prescribing NSAID's (i.e. motrin, naproxen) for a lot of conditions. NSAID's are known to cause GERD, especially if you took them daily for years.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Ad

Thanks Vync!

I have not been taking any medications (yet), as I just got diagnosed. I do take Motrin from time to time, but not on a frequent basis. My wife and I both agree that I started having this Reflux issues about a year after I started using a CPAP Machine.

I will definitely check with PCM to see if it could be a secondary condition that is related to  and/or onset due to Sleep Apnea. I will also be discussing the possibility of the use of Motrin as it relates the Reflux, which is something he prescribed for other SC related conditions. 

JR

JR,
You know, you might be on to something. I did a web search for cpap and reflux and found this study. In brief, they considered aerophagia associated with CPAP use may result in reflux.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2576329/

It really does make sense. With the CPAP mask forcing pressurized air into your nose and throat, I guess there is a fair chance that some of that air will find its way into your stomach.

I hope this helps!

I like to think I'm fairly knowledgeable regarding SA Secondary SC's. I don't recall seeing GIRD ever mentioned as an SA Secondary Condition, could be wrong.

Do a search of BVA Awards and Denials for 14,15 and 16. Never know. anther Vet may have had the same Claim Issues.

Semper Fi

• Like 1