VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

GERD (AKA REFLUX) DIAGNOSIS

Rate this question

John Royal

Question

Greetings,

Looking for guidance on whether I should file a Secondary Claim for GERD due to its possible connection to my SC Sleep Apnea. The information below is taken from VA Medical Record PCM notes.VA Medical

Patient consumed the effervescent granules for esophageal distention. Patient subsequently consumed thick barium material. There is no focal stricture, discrete ulceration, or mass effect on the esophagus. Normal transit of contrast through

the lower esophageal sphincter. There was however low-grade reflux in the lower third of the esophagus. Small hiatal hernia.

Any guidance is most greatly appreciated!

JR

17 minutes ago, McRay said:

Congratulations! Always nice to see someone win. What percentage did they give you?

At the moment I have not been given a rating. I require a CPAP and get the CPAP through the VA so I don't see how it wouldn't be 50%. I have a lawyer representing me so if its incorrect rating it will be appealed.

It is secondary.  It is what doctors refer to as "bidirectional".   Meaning the GERD can aggravate the OSA and OSA can aggravate the GERD.  I have a IMO that states exactly that.  I am SC for GERD and got my OSA SC through GERD.  I got my GERD SC via the above mentioned medications the VA prescribed to me for pain for another SC condition.  If you want to read a copy of the IMO...let me know I can redact and post.  

Edited by pawmbi

With the VA the basic's need to be covered. The nexus will usually not be established without a medical professional providing an opinion that gerd is related to the use of the CPAP. If you can get the primary care physician to make the connection in your VA medical records, then you have an IMO/E. Then when you submit the claim include as attachments any medical treatise you have, to include links to web pages from credible websites (like medscape, etc) that confirm what you are showing the VA.

I had one claim with 25 different studies  and websites that showed the VA's C&P examiner was wrong. The RO had to include all of them in the claim decision. Another win.