VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Problems with VA MH Therapist L.C.S.W.

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

As any one of you that has PTSD w (Social Anxiety ) ever had problems with your VA LC.S.W Therapist?

He mention to me that he has seen an improvement with me  and I feel I have not improved as he says, (JUST ASK MY SPOUSE)

I still have high anxiety and at times its through the roof, I did mention to him that I have to force myself to be sociable  even around family,and that's very hard to do  for the ones that know what I mean here.

Well I told him yesterday I try to calm down  & make my self calm when I feel the anxiety coming on  and start to breath out as he has mention to me that does help some but it don't keep the anxiety from starting up...I've told him that time and time again.

but since I told him I try to keep my anxiety from going to far  he said that was an improvement...I think other wise....I still have panic Attacks that is very hard on me and I can't make him see this.

I make my self miserable trying to keep my anxiety down and I should not have to do that...why am I in therapy?  if I have to make my self flat out miserable trying to control the anxiety.

He is so happy to tell me I have improved from me saying to him I try hard to stop the anxiety when I feel it coming on  and some times I can't  its to over whelming.

Although he gives examples as for what I am suppose to try at home but none has worked for me and I can't get that through his thick skull

I still take all the meds that the MH Phyistrist prescribes.

Anyone ever had this type problem with your VA  L.C.S.W.? if so what did you do?

• HadIt.com Elder

Buck52

Drink about five cups of coffee and stay off you anxiety meds for a few  days before you next see your L.C. S. W.   Start talking about Vietnam and let your mind fall back to the worst firefight you experienced.   That should convince him you are not better.

I have had good and bad, LCSW at the VA currently I have none........the last one wrote all sorts of crap that was not only incorrect but absolutely not even about me?? I don't know where she got the crap from.  It is frustrating for sure, they see only a snapshot of your life and when you begin to feel remotely comfortable sharing with them, then they feel as if you don't have as many issues because clearly you can converse with them?  That obviously isn't how it works and as a professional they should know that, the good ones recognize that, the crappy ones don't :( I would  make sure that your LCSW knows at your next visit that your are having anxiety and panic attacks still and examples of when etc. and how frequent, not just how you are coping with the lesser ones.   Feeling as if your symptoms and mh is being lessened or dismissed is a horrible feeling and tends to only piss me off or make me feel worse and stress then causes the anxiety/panic attacks to get worse.  I hope that isn't the case for you.  Make yourself be heard and if you have to bring in your wife to advocate for you or at least have her write a letter to your therapist to explain that your anxiety and panic attacks aren't getting better.  If that doesn't work, fire him and find another therapist if you have that option.  Check the notes in myhealthyvet to see what he wrote, if he wrote anything you need to dispute make sure you write something to do so. 

• HadIt.com Elder

When I first appeared at the VA's door in 1972  the VA shrink that interviewed me minimized all my issues and symptoms.   I went to see them because I was having mental health symptoms that were frightening to me.  To hear some stumble bum VA hack make light of them really turned me off and I did not go back for about 20 years, but got help from private sector doctor.  You know there is a strong political overtone to VA medical diagnosis and treatment.  Back in 1972  the VA did not want to pay compensation to Vietnam vets with what they called "nervous conditions".

• HadIt.com Elder

Well I try my best to forget Vietnam and for the most part I do pretty good, I continue to have  the N.M.'s & Sweats.

He said I judge others and my way of thinking is just thoughts not facts...wtf?

Anyway thank you all for your suggestions   I'll keep on going the therapy and may ask for a different therapist.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Buck

Get a different doctor if you can.  Of course you judge others.  Everyone does.  You went through the meat grinder.  Where was he at the time?  How can they judge you when they never heard a shot in anger or been scared shitless in a combat situation.  The VA still wishes to sweep the PTSD generations under the rug and "move on" to the next batch of vets.