VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

how long for back pay to hit bank?

Rate this question

Navyguy2013

Question

How long does it take for VA disability Back pay to be deposited into my bank?

It should be around 80k. They also have to adjust my retirement pay as I was at 10%, now 90%, so they have been reducing my retirement pay by $133 per month for about a year. I received my 90% decision letter a week ago.

3 answers to this question

Navyguy,

Since your retro is over 25K, it has to go through a 3-step  "signing process", in other words, your claim has to be reviewed by 3 different areas of the VA system before retro will be paid.

I went through the same thing, and it took about 12 weeks before the retro hit my bank.

Yes it's aggravating, but if I were you, I would call my bank/credit union and let them know you're expecting a large retro to hit over the next few months, just to be safe. I've heard the nightmares were smaller banking institutions have actually rejected the retro, so be safe and inform your bank/credit union. Also, I suggest you set up an alert on your phone, tablet, computer, email..that notifies you when a large amount is about to hit your account.

So Navyguy, sit back, relax, don't stress yourself, decide what you will do with the retro, spend it wisely!

Congrads!

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!

Allan,

Thanks for the feedback. Good idea, I think I will give my credit union a heads up, just in case.

I figured it would take a few months for it to clear the system. Hopefully the hard part is over and no additional snags come around. I have been waiting for over 4 years, so a few more months should be easy.

Most of this will go to pay off bills, and the rest to savings.

Navyguy,

From all I've seen and heard, the "higher ups" generally abide by the decision(s) made by your local VA office, and the rest is just formalities to ensure the veteran gets all he/she is entitled to.

Also be aware that IF(strong if) you used an attorney to help get your retro, the VA will subtract 20% off the top of your retro to pay the attorney, and you have no say-so in the matter. Just an FYI.

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!