VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

smc math

Rate this topic

Bonnie, You are new, so please post your question in a "new question" as answering it here confuses people as to "which" question is being answered.  Since you are new, I shall respond to your question THIS TIME ONLY and you will have to start a new question next time.  

You are unlikely to be compensated for MST AND bipolar as these are both rated under "mental health disorders" and you can only be compensated for "one" set of symptoms.  Pyramiding prevents seperate ratings for bipolar and any other mental disorder...you are rated on the worst set of symptoms only if you have muliple mental health disorder diagnosis.  Since you are already at the max, an additional rating for MST wont provide any additional compensation.  

As far as "Statuatory" SMC S where if you get 100 percent plus another 60 percent, that wont, unfortunately work for you either, as these have to be "seperate and distinct" and bipolar and MST have overlapping symptomalogy.  

To get STATUATORY Smc S, you would need 60 percent combined Above and beyond your bipolar rating that is seperate and distinct.  

However, you may consider applying for SMC S (housebound) ANYWAY because, assuming you are not working, then you wont be able to leave your home "for work", as in this:

https://asknod.org/2014/08/25/cavc-howell-v-nicholson-what-smc-s-really-says/

You will likely need a C and P exam, frankly, and a big fight, to get SMC S.  Its probably worth it tho, as that is what Im doing now..fighting for SMC S under the "Howell" criteria, descibed in the link above.  

1 hour ago, asknod said:

Was invisible ink used?

Naw. I saw Loyal's post above after I posted, Gastone. I erased  and then noticed the vacant faux pas. Sorry. But, in reply to the thread about post #4-7, you said 411 on SMC 1 or 2 or A&A. Let's fix this. Nowadays, there is no longer SMC 1 or 2. SMC S is a housebound determination insofar as you do not go to work per the Howell decision I wrote up a piece back. If, and when, VA determines you are so helpless as to need A&A, regardless of it being via pension or compensation entitlement, you get it. They use the VAF 21-2560 to make that assessment in part. There's also a detailed C&P that accompanies that assessment. If you pass muster you advance to SMC L which is wide-ranging catchall for several sets of disabilities.  It's the entrance to A&A also. You don't have to matriculate from SMC S first. Once you attain SMC L, you can continue to build it like a Lincoln Log set. If you had loss of use of lower extremities due to DMII, and you got A&A after a heart attack that whacked your right side, the combo of the two "L"s moves you to SMC O. But if one of those Ls is a A&A, you get to pyramid to R1 at a bare minimum. This is an incremental game and each big 100% disability has to unique and independently rateable different from all the other qualifiers for SMC L. SHoo doggies. It has more doglegs than the Mississippi.

• HadIt.com Elder

Alex

Kinda a dumb question but I had a Veteran ask me this the other day at the VMC...I always go by the VBA to help other vets. and pass out Hadit Cards.

Is the SMC considered a rating? or is it just added in to help with the Veteran income for him & his family?

Looks like the Veteran would get the SMC When awarded his S.C. Disability's?

Maybe not as they need to be of a separate rating.

AN, thanks for the guided trip down the SMC Rabbit Hole. Much easier to read this time.