VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Am I Wasting My Time?

Seabee Wife

Question

My late husband, a 'boots on the ground' Vietnam Vet, passed away in 2015. His death certificate showed cause of death "Tongue Cancer." I have finally been able to get the death certificate amended to show PART I, "Squamous Cell CA Tongue" as cause of death and PART II, contributing conditions to show "Sepsis, DM2, and CVA.

The cancer is not on the agent orange presumptive list, however, DM2 is, and possibly soon CVA will be on the list. Since these two illnesses are only contributing conditions on his death certificate, will the VA award DIC or will I be required to jump through hoops to no avail?  My husband had never applied for disability. The DM2 diagnosis and CVA occurred after the cancer diagnosis.

Thank you for your time and input in this matter.          

Edited by Seabee Wife

I am so happy for you!!!!!!

VA puts so many  of us widows through so many hoops and we sure cannot depend on vet reps most of the time.

And I sure can relate to what you said. I rely on the Lord too!

He gave purpose and meaning to the  untimely deaths of both of my military husbands.

They are why I am here.

VA will pay retro DIC back to the date of your claim but there might be a property tax exemption for you in your locale.

They should also award you DEA ( Chapter 35) educational benefits and CHAMPVA- 

CHAMPVA has to be applied for-much info on that here.

And you can apply for membership in Gold Star Wives,if you wish.

Gee what a good looking vet you had! I love the thumbs up photo!

You might well be eligible for some burial/funeral  reimbursement. I will find links to that and post them here.

Relax and enjoy this victory but as I well know, a lot more sadness comes with it sometimes.

I am sure that your husband  is Proud of what you have accomplished ! 

Hi Berta,

Again, you just keep putting out information that I knew nothing about.

I have applied for and been awarded CHAMPVA. Have applied for funeral reimbursement. I wish our daughter, now 26, could use that education benefit, and I will check into the property tax exemption.

Yep, I love that thumbs up photo...it's sits on my kitchen countertop.

How do I go about contributing to this site?

You Rock Ms. Berta!

You can email Tbird- our Webmaster -on how to contribute---Hadit just celebrated our 21st Year helping veterans, their dependents and their survivors! 

I am glad to hear that you got the funeral reimbursement info-I had been sick almost the whole month of January and never posted here the link I wanted to give you on that----

One other thing is the VA Home Loan program.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/HOMELOANS/contact.asp

This is the part for survivors of service connected veterans:

https://explore.va.gov/home-loans-and-housing/spouses-dependents-survivors

I dont know if their procedure has changed from when I first contacted them, about 7 years ago.

I was thinking of adding on a room to my home.I called a number that might be on the first link here, as I have never applied for a COE (Certificate of Eligibility) and my application form was very old.I thuink it came with my DIC award.

The woman I spoke to at VA loan center asked me a few brief questions and pulled up my VA stuff. She asked if I had a specific lender in mine and I said that would be my federal credit union.

I told her I was just thinking about an addition and thought I should get the COD before I went further on those plans.

She took my contact info and said she would get back to me or my lender  would, as they were sending the COD to the credit union .

Within about 15 minutes the credit union called me and asked how much I needed. I was shocked by how fast thyat went. VA had already faxed them my COE.

As it was I was thinking of a room to hold my book, map, and globe collection, with a nice place for my PC.

The building inspector went over my specs and said they were good and offered some suggestions.

But instead I realized---- one more room to clean, get A/Ced in summer, and heated in winter so I donated many books to a library and my daughter bought me a Kindle .I have 4 books and the entire bible in it, and I will think about the VA loan if I ever need some major handicap accomodations because my home is higher than my driveway.

My long point here is, this is a great benefits for survivors...if and when they need it.

As to Chapter 35,  age 26 is usually a cut off for that.

Military service is added to the dependent's entitlement date.

What I mean is for example, my daughter was eligible for Chap 35 and applied just before she turned 26. VA  DEA added 7 years ( her military service period) to extend her eligibility up to age 33.

There are many state educational programs for children of deceased veterans but that info would be found on your state's web site. 

And of course CHAMPVA is wonderful! I have had all sorts of medical tests,  etc etc, and I only pay a 50 Buck co pay for the one PX I have, a pill I take only twice a week.

If I ever decide to get Meds by mail, I will have no co- pay. The local VA made a medication error on one of my husband's meds  by mail ,2 weeks before he died so I would rather pay the $50.

I used the DEA Chapter 35 myself and VA paid about 8 thousand towards my degree from AMU.

Also survivors are eligible for some Certificate programs too.

Edited by Berta

Thanks for that reply Tbird- I was not sure how that worked.

To add here:

https://www2.ed.gov/programs/fpg/index.html

The Pell Grant Program is still a potential way to gain financial help for college.

I used a Pell Grant ,after my other veteran husband died, to begin my college courses long ago.

I am sure the grant is for any  eligible survivor of a veteran.