VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Am I Wasting My Time?

Seabee Wife

Question

My late husband, a 'boots on the ground' Vietnam Vet, passed away in 2015. His death certificate showed cause of death "Tongue Cancer." I have finally been able to get the death certificate amended to show PART I, "Squamous Cell CA Tongue" as cause of death and PART II, contributing conditions to show "Sepsis, DM2, and CVA.

The cancer is not on the agent orange presumptive list, however, DM2 is, and possibly soon CVA will be on the list. Since these two illnesses are only contributing conditions on his death certificate, will the VA award DIC or will I be required to jump through hoops to no avail?  My husband had never applied for disability. The DM2 diagnosis and CVA occurred after the cancer diagnosis.

Thank you for your time and input in this matter.          

Edited by Seabee Wife

• HadIt.com Elder

Gastone

I should have included Truman,  Ike and Kennedy since they were all up to their necks in it.   Truman and Ike preferred to finance the French and I think Kennedy sent the first advisors.  The Tonkin Gulf Resolution was what really got the war going thanks to LBJ.   First the Marines came to guard Da Nang Airbase and then they started to patrol aggressively outside the wire and we were off to the races.    We were neck deep in the Big Muddy by that time and the Big Fool said "Push On".      LBJ believed all the protestors were communists.  I think they just did not want to go to Vietnam, period.  Everyone believed in the Domino Theory and that if we did not stop Uncle Ho the Red Chinese would be in California in a couple of years.  Were they fools?  In retrospect they were,  but almost all were Cold Warriors and did not understand Nationalism as a guiding light for Ho and the people of former colonies.  The worst colonial power was probably little Belgium.   What they did to the Belgium Congo was appalling.   Of course what we did to Spain and Mexico was pretty appalling as well.   We just stole their land with no excuses except they had it and we wanted it.   This is human nature and the power of the State.  Even a state like Israel filled with escapees from death camps oppress their weaker neighbors.   

John

There is no rhyme or reason for what happens from prep for dec and to complete.  And don't be alarmed if it goes back to prep again.  I had one go all the way back to gathering information.  So, yeah, anything can happen on eBenefits, that's for sure.

Movement means something might be happening.  It can go back and forth a couple times in the same day when it nears its end.  Favorable or not.  Just the way it is.

Hoping for the best for you,

Hamslice

S-W, sit back and try to relax, the wait is the wait.

Have you provided the VA with a Direct Deposit Bank/Credit Union Account? Do you have this Direct Deposit Account set to Txt and Email you real-time, regarding ALL Financial Transactions? Retro generally hits well in advance of the Award Decision Letter.

Yes, I've provided all that and no deposits have hit and letter has been sent. I'm going to expect a denial and be pleasantly surprised if approved. They requested additional info once, which I provided. My concern is the only presumptive was DMII and it is just listed as a 'contributing' factor on death certificate and not the cause of death. 

If I get a denial, I will be seeking advice on best way to appeal. This process is nerve wracking to say the least.

...To be continued...

If your husband is retired military and receives a military pension, they have to do 2 audits first. The VA sends a request to Cleveland before issuing payments. This wait, typically 2-3 months slows down retro, but does not impede your monthly checks. They should start the month following the award.