VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Order of claims worked?

Rate this question

11cvolley

Question

I'm currently waiting for the RO to decide my competency claim. Last time I checked on it they were about to send it into the decision phase. I put a dependency claim in to remove my ex wife. Will the dependency claim slow down the competency claim?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

In my opinion, I don't think it will slow down your claim.

If you mailed in the dependency change, it might take longer. I was advised to handle dependency via ebenefits and it didn't take long at all. After the ebenefits claim was approved, I had to go back in and cancel the claim I mailed in.

38 minutes ago, Vync said:

In my opinion, I don't think it will slow down your claim.

If you mailed in the dependency change, it might take longer. I was advised to handle dependency via ebenefits and it didn't take long at all. After the ebenefits claim was approved, I had to go back in and cancel the claim I mailed in.

I did the dependency through e-ben. I'm just a little annoyed at how fast they got to work on it and its been nearly a year now waiting for them to finish a competency claim and release my small, sub 8k, back pay.

2 hours ago, 11cvolley said:

I did the dependency through e-ben. I'm just a little annoyed at how fast they got to work on it and its been nearly a year now waiting for them to finish a competency claim and release my small, sub 8k, back pay.

I know what you mean. Hang in there. Hopefully they will not make you wait any longer.

3 hours ago, Vync said:

I know what you mean. Hang in there. Hopefully they will not make you wait any longer.

Yeah, the guy at the RO office that the DC number put me into contact with said it should be done this year. Especially with him putting several request for them to 'move on it.' The closer Christmas gets, the more annoyed I become. Usually I'd have at least 1k saved for my son's b-day and x-mas in December but I plan on filing chapter 7 due to teh debt my ex wife left me. So I haven't been saving because the chapter 7 lawyer said not to save so I can easily separate my monthly from the back pay... So if I don't get that back pay before December then Christmas is going to suck for my son.

12 hours ago, 11cvolley said:

Yeah, the guy at the RO office that the DC number put me into contact with said it should be done this year. Especially with him putting several request for them to 'move on it.' The closer Christmas gets, the more annoyed I become. Usually I'd have at least 1k saved for my son's b-day and x-mas in December but I plan on filing chapter 7 due to teh debt my ex wife left me. So I haven't been saving because the chapter 7 lawyer said not to save so I can easily separate my monthly from the back pay... So if I don't get that back pay before December then Christmas is going to suck for my son.

Oh man, that stinks. I hope they get you taken care of soon. Keep in mind that stuffing the piggy bank is always a good way to save, as long as it it hidden away in a safe place from fire/theft. I usually stash away a couple of $20's from every paycheck in my fireproof box. You can also go to the store and get $20 cash back. My wife is always astounded at how I always seem to have money for the holidays. I've been through divorce and left with debt, but what helped me was to listen to Dave Ramsey's radio show and his financial peace university class. Consider calling into his show and asking for his opinion and advice. I called in and won tickets to his seminar that came to my city. It took some time, but made a difference for me. It might be worth checking out before you go the ch. 7 route, but I realize that option may be necessary to protect yourself. Well, whatever happens, I wish you the best of luck.