VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TDIU granted, but also PERMANENT?

Rate this question

SecurityForces03

Question

Hi Everyone,

I am currently 90% Sc'd and was just granted TDIU. When I read the letter, this is what it says:

You have one or more service-connected disabilities:Yes

Your combined service-connected evaluation is: 90%

You are being paid at the 100 percent rate because you are unemployable due to your service-connected disabilities: Yes

You are considered to be totally and permanently disabled due solely to your service-connected disabilities: Yes

You are in receipt of special monthly compensation due to the type and severity of your service-connected disabilities:Yes

I am most interested in the section where it says I am Permanent and Total. But isn't TDIU just temporary? Can anyone shed any light? Also, I found out about the poverty level earnings. It IS BASED on you and your dependents. 

Thank you,

SECFO

• HadIt.com Elder

If the VA reduced your TDIU because they say you are no longer unemployable even if you eventually win back TDIU on appeal you will have a period of months if not years when that source of income is denied to you.  Is it worth it to push the envelope when you have TDIU P&T?  Look at it from the point of view of the person on the street.  You are a vet who is getting paid because you can't work, and yet you are working and getting TDIU at the same time?  This won't look good for you unless your income is very low or sheltered work environment etc.   I am not saying you are doing anything wrong, but look at it from VA's or man in the streets point of view.  It does not pass the smell test.  The VA would love to slam/dunk someone in your situation and you can't afford it I don't think.

On 9/22/2017 at 8:20 AM, SecurityForces03 said:

I confirmed with th VA that it is P&T which they stated requires NO more future exams.

Also, takes to the center manager who explained the poverty level depends on marriage status and dependents. Since I'm married with 3 children, it was closer to the 29K mark.

Also, working is frowned upon, however, having sheltered work or work that's NOT full time such as part time work, real estate, owner of a business, would be fine.

It is true that you can work. However, as soon as you make over the poverty thresh hold for 1 person, SSA will trigger the VA. The VA will then send out an “employability questionnaire form”. I forgot the VA form number. The VA will judge it on a case by case basis. So as long as you make under the poverty threshold for one person, they will not bother you.