VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TDIU granted, but also PERMANENT?

Rate this question

SecurityForces03

Question

Hi Everyone,

I am currently 90% Sc'd and was just granted TDIU. When I read the letter, this is what it says:

You have one or more service-connected disabilities:Yes

Your combined service-connected evaluation is: 90%

You are being paid at the 100 percent rate because you are unemployable due to your service-connected disabilities: Yes

You are considered to be totally and permanently disabled due solely to your service-connected disabilities: Yes

You are in receipt of special monthly compensation due to the type and severity of your service-connected disabilities:Yes

I am most interested in the section where it says I am Permanent and Total. But isn't TDIU just temporary? Can anyone shed any light? Also, I found out about the poverty level earnings. It IS BASED on you and your dependents. 

Thank you,

SECFO

• HadIt.com Elder

Earnings that come passively to you like stock dividends are OK.   Money you earn from actual work which might involve filing taxes and paying SSA is probably a No NO.   If you get W-2 for your work that will get the eyes of the VA upon you.  What is your age if I may ask.  Being p&t means your wife and children get ChampVA medical insurance and your kids get college money. You may also be exempt from property tax.  If you are over 50 I advise you not to do any work that involves you in filed W-2 as a worker or any form like that for self employed.   TDIU means you are totally disabled and unemployable.  Don't push too hard on that definition by looking for loopholes.

• HadIt.com Elder
21 hours ago, SecurityForces03 said:

Hi Everyone,

I am currently 90% Sc'd and was just granted TDIU. When I read the letter, this is what it says:

You have one or more service-connected disabilities:Yes

Your combined service-connected evaluation is: 90%

You are being paid at the 100 percent rate because you are unemployable due to your service-connected disabilities: Yes

You are considered to be totally and permanently disabled due solely to your service-connected disabilities: Yes

You are in receipt of special monthly compensation due to the type and severity of your service-connected disabilities:Yes

I am most interested in the section where it says I am Permanent and Total. But isn't TDIU just temporary? Can anyone shed any light? Also, I found out about the poverty level earnings. It IS BASED on you and your dependents. 

Thank you,

SECFO

the SMC is the one you mention here in your first post  next to the last paragraph.....I don't know what the SMC Is  you should know that!

21 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

the SMC is the one you mention here in your first post  next to the last paragraph.....I don't know what the SMC Is  you should know that!

I thought you were talking about something different. I'm receiving an SMC K award.

• HadIt.com Elder

I know you want to keep busy, but pushing against TDIU and bring you a world of hurt.  I have SMC "S" which is housebound. Since you are 80% TDIU if you get another 60% somehow you can get "S" which is another $300 a month.  If you are over 40 and have TDIU volunteer, but don't work or you may have big problems since VA checks with SSA regarding work done or SSA taxes paid.   The VA makes these rules hard to live with on purpose.  Your TDIU is for life and when you are 70 years old and your buddies are scraping by on tiny pensions and SSA you will be getting tax free dollars.  IRS taxes both me and my wife's SSA and my federal pension.  Soon I will start to take RMD's from our IRA's and that will be taxed, so the  VA money will help pay all those taxes.  I have looked for every loophole there is to find some dignity in forced retirement,  but money is the best reward.