VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hadit and other operating systems

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

Im happy to tell you I have used hadit on all 3 operating systems with "virtually no" glitches.  There is almost "no" differences in using hadit on Windows, Linux Mint, or Mac OS, but I do recommend you keep any operating sytstm you have "up to date".  

Windows calls them "updates" but they are often better referred to as "bug fixes".  When a problem with windows occurs, and if Microsoft thinks its important enough, they fix it and call the fix an "update".  That sounds better than a bug fix for Windows marketing.  

I have been on hadit with most versions of Windows, as I have been on hadit since 2007.  Recently, because of security issues, I no longer use Windows as its like putting a sign on your yard, "Haack ME".  

Here is a big reason (only one of many): 

When you log on to Windows, the default is an "administrative preveledges".   This is bad, because many times people dont even understand what administrative priveleges even are.  When you are an administrator (as almost all Windows users are, unless you have a big company account where its been setup for you to have an non admin account, such as if you ge on at the library).  

So, your 13 year old daugheter gets on your computer, with admin priveledges, and she sees a cute popup for little emoji on her computer.  She downloads it.  Oh oh.  She probably just installed a back door for hackers to steal your infor.  

Now lets change that to, say Linux mint.  Each time I log on, I am not logging on as and administratior, but as a regular account without admin priveledges.  So, my daughter goes on my machine and sees the little emoji and tries to download it.  The computer will require MY admin password, which I have not given to my daughter, because, by default, I only get admin priveledges with the admi n password.  My daughter says, "Gee daddy, I need something called the admin password to download this emoji program.  

No, I dont think so, honey.  That . is a hacker trying to install a backdoor and you are not giving him permission to do so.  

This is one of may reasons both apple and linux are more secure than windows...administrative priveledges are NOT by default.  

If you wish to try Linux, you can download it for free, or order a dvd for nominal cost.  (usually around $5).  Linux is free, because the original author Linus Torvalds, gave it to the world as he felt that operating systems should be free and not a source of corporate profits.  

6 answers to this question

But the default for Windows does not have to stay admin. You can set up user accounts with different levels of privileges. Yes, it assumes Admin on setup because you are setting it up- thus assumes system administrator or authorized admin user. Who else would be setting up your computer from install to config? Default privilege at install with Linux is Sudo, which is admin, also. 

CAS

-former sys admin

• HadIt.com Elder

I think everyone has there reason and opinion about computer software and  it's operating systems, my opinion is what works best for you. use it.

With different operating systems comes different Methods.''Loops if you will''

I have used windows operating systems for years and have had no problems   with the exceptions of the windows up-grades...I like the windows 8 over the windows 10  but that's just my opinion.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hey, all your information gets hacked anyway as in Equifax hack.   I checked and, of course, was hacked once again.   I think these jerks should be sued under class action law.   I know Office of Personnel has been hacked,  Target was hacked and about a dozen other big corporations and government agencies have been hacked.  Just assume you been hacked.

• HadIt.com Elder

Well if I get hacked or hacked  and they use my information to get my $$$ they be will be surprised  because I don't have any.

Your probably correct Johnn999

Buck,  

You wont like it if they hack you and take away your VA compensation pay....

Yes, Tbird I also like Mac...its much more secure than Windows.   I actually have both Mac (laptop) and Linux (desktop).  I no longer get online with Windows computers for security reasons.  I can not afford to be hacked, I dont want to mess with viruses or anti virus software (which slows down your computer).   I just got tired of it.  By the way, I have disinfected hundreds of computers infected with Virii. The best way is to reformat the hard drive and reload the operating system, because, only then can you be certain there is no key logger or back doors installed.   Oh, and yes, I have a MCP certificate (Microsoft Certified Professional).  

Yes, I know there are millions of Windows users.  And millions get hacked, too.  Windows is, by far, the most popular system, followed by Mac, and Linux is less popular than either.  This is because Windows has powerful marketing and strong arms computer companies to install ONLY Windows.  Most customers like Windows, probably because that is what they have always used, and they simply do not know better.  Did you know you can try Linux Mint on DVD without even installing it on your hard drive?   You can not do that with Windows, you must use it installed, it cant be run from your optical drive like Linux Mint.  

I LOVE that my  computers run faster, as they are not encumbered with resource hogging Windows and anti virus software, and I dont even have to try to uninstall a bunch of "advertising" software that is always installed when you get a Windows box.  Some examples are trial versions of anti virus software, that expire in a few months, trial versions of Office that expire, and many, many more.  These advertisements on your computer take up hard drive space, are sometimes difficult to uninstall, and lure you into buying still more software, such as antivirus, or Office software.  Linux has no antivirus, but they do have free "open Office" where you get it free forever, not a free trial.  

The default being admin, is just one of hundreds of security holes that windows has that Mac and Linux do not.  

The main thing Windows has going for them is that Windows has excellent marketing, while Linux does not.  Have you ever seen a Linux commercial?  You probably wont, any time soon.  

Viruses are virtually exclusive to Windows.  

Linux does not have anti virus software, because we do not need any "band aid" security that anti virus offers.  Apple Operating systems dont need antivirus either, the security is built in not band aided on.  

You can keep on using Windows operating system, if you like being hacked.  Of course, many people are hacked and do not know it.   They dont know if they have a virus infection, and dont know if there is a back door on their computer, and they dont know if there is a "key logger" either..until its too late.  

HBO begged hackers for "more time" to pay ransom to hacker theives.  http://www.investopedia.com/news/game-throne-hackers-demand-bitcoin-ransom-hbo/

If you get hacked with Windows, dont say I did not warn you.