VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SMC S to L

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

jfrei,

I agree with Ms Tbird  you do have a pretty good shot.

I had Vietnam Buddy  Rated 100% PTSD and also A.O. Cancer   He got so bad had to be bedridden   he was getting SMC S, they applied for the A&A  The VA sent  someone out to there home and talk to her hubby& her  ...they got the A&A & His spouse was appointed his caregiver  she was a LVN but was staying home to care for her hubby...so the extra $$ helped out tremendously.

...Ok before  the A&A was awarded  the VA Also  approved them for their home to be improved   they redid the bathroom and made some ramps on the  front porch and widen the bedroom door  so his power chair would fit  and they put up a  electric 500 lb pull bar above his bed...they should have got the A&A Then.

Unfortunately he died 6 months later. A.O. Cancer got him.

She did get DIC and help with funeral expense

I think 75% of getting help from the VA is who we talk to,  the people that work for the VA is usually for the VA but there are people that work for the VA that do care about us veterans and will bend the regulations  to help'' so-to-speak'' and help all they can.

Alex (asknod) got some down right A** H**** Some VA Officials came out to his home  to inspect and placement of his Greenhouse he was Approved for...Alex met the officials...one of the first things they ask Alex was where is your wheel chair?  you don't look that disabled.

in my opinion this VA Official had no right to ask him that, after a Veteran is awarded and service connected  that should be all the VA officials need to know  there not Dr's

I get pissed off every time I think about that  grrrrrrrrrrrr

• HadIt.com Elder

I would disclose that the reason my wife can only work part time is due to the fact she must assist you taking care of your basic needs to include cooking, making sure you take your meds,  making sure you bath and feed yourself etc.  To get the higher levels of SMC you usually require help doing basic self-care.    With 100% PTSD you might be able to get it.  You must convince them you need a "keeper".  That is a brutal way of saying it but pretty true.  If you are not in a wheelchair or bedridden and have all your limbs you need to show them that you just can't be on your own all day.  You might look into hiring a helper so that if VA comes out to take a look they see you being cared for by someone while you wife has to toil just to make ends meet.  The best thing would be for your wife to become official and paid caregiver for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Im just reading this now John. I understand that I feel bad as is I'm the reason she doesn't work fulltime and she loves her job. I don't know if I could ask her to leave she may think about it if the VA would grant it prior to leaving her job. Right now her job is what is keeping us barely afloat without a paddle...

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 7:45 AM, Tbird said:

jfrei - I would try again, I think you have a shot at it. Keep in mind that they will probably try to assign you a fiduciary which may or may not be your wife. 

Sorry just replying all my claims are officially closed and my final appeal is with the VLJ. Asking for this is done how in a written statement while opening a new claim? Finally thought that my 100%scheduler P and T was the final stretch....

• Founder

It's a new claim requesting special monthly compensation at the level you are requesting. I have very little experience with these claims and I hope someone who's done one successfully will jump in here.

The following conditions will get you SMC L, if documented (note you dont have to have all of these, but any one of them):  

A rating of SMC(l) would include:
• The anatomical loss or loss of use of:
o Both feet,
o One hand and one foot
• Blindness in both eyes with visual acuity of 5/200 or less.
• Permanently bedridden.
Regular need for aid and attendance to assist with activities of daily living such as dressing oneself, tending to personal hygiene, care and adjustment of assistive appliances or prosthetics, feeding oneself, and the like. (specific criteria is established in 38 CFR § 3.352(a) ) (*if such services are not being provided at the expense of the U.S. Government due to hospitalization).

Ratings above the SMC(l) level to include SMC (m), SMC (n), SMC (o), SMC (p), SMC(r) and SMC (s) are specialized multifaceted levels which are based on various specific combinations of anatomical loss or loss of use of designated extremities and/or senses, together with seriously disabling conditions and particular degrees of aid and attendance requirements, housebound or bedridden statuses deemed medically necessary, and explicit service-connection ratings. These levels also outline various requirements to include full and half step upgraded SMC level ratings.