VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Who pays Retro Pay?

Rate this question

boatman

Question

I am a still confused about retro pay. Currently I am rated at 80% I just received 70% in may 2017 for depression with an effective date of May 2008.  I had been rated at 40% with 30% for pain, 10% for tinnitus. I had been receiving $651 from the VA with the Navy taking away $651 every month. I understand this to some degree. I think? My question is will DOD- pay my retro pay? I received $470 payment from the VA for some reason last week. Will I get the 80% payment back to 2008? Thank you all for your time here. I am tried frustrated with this claim. Always darkest before the dawn I hope.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

I cannot answer questions on concurrent receipt, assuming you are getting disabiliity pay and also Navy retirement.  I dont know how much retirement you get.  

Your VA compensation comes from VA, and I have mine, like most, direct deposited to my account.  Do you have the same?  You need to make sure this is up to date, and an old account you have closed is not the one listed.  

You should get additional compensation retro pay, yes, but its still unclear to me if you owe any of this for retriement or how much.  

You can ask VA to audit it, but that may or may not be good for you.  There are some experts here on concurrent receipt, and I hope they chime in.   Many Vets can collect both retirement and disability, but like everything else there are rules for this too and they are almost always complicated.  

You can read these rules yourself to see if you are eligible:

https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crdp.html

The article that broncovet cites gives all the particulars.  It takes a while for DFAS to audit your pay especially because of the way concurrent receipt started in 2004 and increased at a 10% rate yearly from that time. i.e.

2004 you get your military retirement plus 10% of your monetary disability benefits

2005 you get your military retirement plus 20% of your monetary disability benefits

2006 you get your military retirement plus 30% of your monetary disability 

Up to 2014 when you get your military retirement plus 100% of what your disability equals in monetary benefits.