VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Claim not showing up

Rate this question

Christopher.surran

Question

Hello my name is christopher, I had my first disability claim completed, and in the process I was instructed by the claim that to file for something else based on the exam, and I was diagnosed with sleep apnea before I left the service.  This was september 14 2017, and it's now october 2 2017 and my claim is no where to be found.  I went to the local VA in el paso and utilized a USO to help me file the claim.  Maybe I forgot something but I thought he told me the claim was filed, and I would receive a letter that I had intended to file.  Is their anything else I should be doing because I don't see it on ebenefits, although I do see an intent to file claim which appearantly is online....but no other details.  Any suggestions, or should I just wait?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Good question.   Remember, 2 weeks is like 20 seconds to VA, where time is measured in years, not weeks.  My claim has been in processing (or appeals) since April 10, 2002.  Of couse, there have been multiple VARO decisions, multiple bva decisions, and even several cavc remands. 

I would wait another 2 weeks and then definately get to the bottom of it.  Both VA and VSO's LOVE to stick your claim in a file cabinet and forget about it for 3 years...this is almost SOP for them.  My VSO did not even file my claim until June, when I saw him in April.  I was upset.  Of course, that costs me 2 months of retro pay.  You wont be paid, if awarded, till the first day of the next month anyway, so waiting another 2 weeks costs you zero, because you get the same retro if you file on Oct. 2 and you do if you file on Oct. 30.  There is no pro rate or per day.  VA counts your time from date received, not the date you mail it.  

Calll 800 827 1000 hit button #2 so you get a live person. Ask them if the claim is there, they should be able to tell you something if it was filed. The USO should have printed off a copy for you before you left.

You should have a 526 EZ form, if not, start asking ??''s.

Edited by pwrslm

I would ask for proof from the VSO you used to file your claim that it was actually filed.  I waited 10 months with a VSO telling me everything was fine, to find out my claim was never actually filed.  That was the only time I did not use eBenefits to file, and I will never make that mistake again.