VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

missing some medical records

Rate this question

Question

I am 21 year ret army vet . while on active duty in 1976/77 I slipped climbing down off an armored vehicle  and injured both legs in the shin bone area. No bones were broken but it took the skin off  were it bled and left scars. Through the years it would frequently loose the covering skin. It eventually left large  discolored scars that is embarrassing when I wear shorts. My problem is I've been through my medical records with a fine tooth comb and cannot find any treatment records in my SMR nowhere. The only thing in my records is the scars and their measurements are listed on my retirement physical in 1994 by the army doctor that did the physical and that's it. My question is how can I prove this took place while on duty  and should be service connected without any medical treatment records. The only thing I do have is the entrance physical were they were not there and the retirement physical were they are listed in detail. Can I file a claim with that small amount of medical records?

thank you

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

You should file an ITF (Intent to file)

You have a year to gather up your evidence then file the claim but file it before the year is up. (best to do this on e benefits) jmo

Request your C-file From NRPC  RMC  in St Louis Mo (ASAP) Do it Online as well,and be sure to sign and send in the FOIA form.  there in PDF. fairly simple just follow the directions.

Request All Medical Records, All SMRs All Medical Notes  written on front and back pages,  And All Service Records Written on front and back pages.

Request all YOUR Records in their possession.

When it comes in (it should be on a CD) This makes it a 100 times better and faster to find things.

if you have Acrobat pro reader   use that program to copy it into your computer, and you can find things you need a lot faster. (put the CD up for safe keeping)

Cover/Read over it good and check for any medical records that should be in it when this happend ....> if you went to the base Dr's?

if you seen a private Dr at that time you need to check with that Doc for your medical records too!

You also can use your Lay statements and describe what happen when it happen and the location it happen  , you can get buddy statements letters , or letter from your C.O. or First Sargent, or your NCO in charge of your unit /platoon   that they seen your injury first hand or knew about it.

most and best evidence is of course medical records  and if you went to the Post Hospital they should have  medical records for this , if you don't have them in your SMR's  then the C-file is the next best try.

Was this location in a conflict outside the USA? IRAQ, AFGHANISTAN, GULF WAR,  Desert Storm ect,,,ect,,,??

Best Advise I can give you is Request your C-File and start your intent to file.

& start gathering up your evidence.

• HadIt.com Elder

Also something to think about   if you do get Service Connected for these scars  it will probably be a low rating  as they rate by the length and size of the scars.

so you may want to think about any other condition that you have and believe it is caused from your prior military service & can be Service Connected  claims like Hearing Impariment /Tinnitus, DJD, IBS, Back Injurys, and file claims for those as well when you file...if not then just file these scares as FDC Claim

(Fully Develop Claim)

If your denied on any of these claims  they will let you know the Reason and Bases for the denial  and you can Appeal and search out for evidence or get IMO (INDEPENDENT MEDICAL OPINION)  sometimes the VA will send you to a C&P to be evaluated  by one of there examiners. or contract it out to a private medical firm like QTC