VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

ptsd reconsideration

Rate this question

redgnr04

Question

I was previously denied a ptsd claim due to no treatment or diagnosis.

The exminer filled out the initial DBQ but it failed to show any mental diagnosis.

These past few months I have been in treatment at the VA and they recently diagnosed me with PTSD.

I just filed a reconsideration on the previous claim and sumbitted the VA diagnosis as new evidence.

Would it be possible to have a private psychologist fill out a review DBQ at this point and submit it with the reconsideration?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes you can as long as you have a  DSM 5 PTSD  Diagnoses from a VA Qualified Dr.

Never hurts to to have to much evidence.

Just keep it short and to the point   they don't like to read long drawn out reports or a bunch of virbiten ....> lots of pages.

JMO

Edited by Buck52

How about posting a redacted copy of your PTSD Denial Letter. That and a redacted copy of the C & P Forensic DBQ would give us a better idea of what you're up against.

What type of PTSD Claim, FDC or Reg A$$, did you file? What's the Denial Letter Date? Did a VSR handle your Claim or did you do a DIY?

You reference an "Initial PTSD DBQ" when discussing your C & P Exam. A VA Forensic PTSD C & P Exam results in (1), and only (1) DBQ. You were denied based on the results of that DBQ, there is no additional DBQ for your initial claim forthcoming.

Keep in mind your NOD Clock is ticking down, 364 from the Denial Letter Date, the Reconsideration request doe does not stop the NOD Filing Clock.

Semper Fi

I don't have a copy of the CNP yet but I saw it on my VSO's computer.

It was a combat claim and they already conceded my stressors under the 2010 rules.

Both the doc on the initial DBQ and VA rater conceded my combat stressors in the denial letter.

I'll try to get that scanned in.

Just want to know if they will accept a review DBQ in this case?

Edited by redgnr04

Any Document relating to your Claim or Appeal forwarded by you or a Clinician on your behalf  must be accepted and eventually reviewed if it's determined to be New and Material Evidence.  A VA PTSD DBQ, completed by any Clinician that is not a VA Certified Forensic Qualified Psychiatrist or Psychologist PHD would carry very little probative value in any attempt to rebut the original C & P DBQ.

It's been quite awhile but I don't think the VA's requirements for VET PTSD/MH services have changed. Did you receive an initial PTSD/MH evaluation in the form of a PCP Administered symptom questionnaire? The scoring of that Questionnaire was necessary to get a referral to the VMC MH Dept.

At the 1st appointment with the MH Dept, another PTSD/MH Symptom questionnaire was administered by a MH Nurse. The subsequent score determined your admission to the MH Treatment Program. The Vet was then given  a choice of seeing a Psychiatrist, joining a PTSD Group or a combination of both. I opted for group and met twice a week for 21/2 yrs. Once a month, I would have a personal session with a MH/PTSD Social Worker that headed up the weekly Group Sessions.

My one and only contact with a VA Staff Psychiatrist was at the Forensic PTSD C & P Exam. This was back in mid 2010, within 2 weeks I noticed a copy of the C & P DBQ had been placed in my VA Med Records by the C & P Dr.

Semper Fi