VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cygon exposure at Eleuthera, Bahamas

Rate this question

Stetson Vet Clinic

Question

My name is Cameron, and I am a law student at Stetson University College of Law. I work in the Veterans Advocacy Clinic at Stetson, which provides free help to veterans trying to get their disability benefits from the VA. The Clinic uses student interns, like me, to do research on behalf of the veterans. Our job is to find the information that the VA needs, so that they can provide an accurate disability rating for the veteran.

I am currently working on an appeal where we need some help finding testimony that would support the claim of one of our clients.

I am working with a veteran who has developed Multiple Sclerosis as a result of handling a pesticide called Cygon. He was stationed as a naval corpsman (medic) at the naval base in Eleuthera, Bahamas, sometime between 1967 and 1969. Part of his job duties included spraying pesticides around the base. The Clinic has been able to find some evidence that chemicals in Cygon can lead to development of Multiple Sclerosis, but we have not yet found any evidence that Cygon was ever used at the naval base in Eleuthera, Bahamas.  We have contacted the DoD pesticide agency and they say they don’t have records that go back that far. 

We are looking for anyone who has knowledge of what corpsmen did from 67-69 at the naval base in Eleuthera, Bahamas? Did you serve as a naval corpsman then or know someone who did? Do you remember ever seeing anyone spraying pesticides at the naval base in Eleuthera, Bahamas? Do you have a copy of the corpsman training manual from that time period? Did you do any record keeping of what chemicals were ordered in the Bahamas or work for the entomologist on that installation? Do you have any information that could help guide me in the right direction?

Please feel free to contact me if you have any information regarding Eleuthera or Cygon. I’m easiest to reach at vetclinic @law.stetson.edu or you can call at 727-562-7324.  Thanks in advance for helping this veteran.

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

I wish I was more help, here, but I will defer to the NVLSP who are the experts on Agent Orange and Nehmer class clients, and I dont know if this would qualify or not, but it sounds like VA is fighting the Vet on this.  

NVLSP are "experts" on Agent Orange and Nehmer claimants.   I also beleive that NVLSP is a non profit organization and "likely" will share their expertise with you.  They have lots of stuff for training for "new" attorneys who are choosing to represent Veteran claimants before the VA.  

On this exceptionally complex issue, I would advise you form friendly relations with NVLSP.  Ron Abrams, the founder, is retiring but continues to work part time after retirment.  

Im aware of him personally answering questions for Berta, some years ago.  

Ron Abrams, if I recall, is an author of the Veterans Benefit Manual, which is basically an attorneys source of VA cases which may help Vets.  If you dont have the current VBM, you need it.  http://www.nvlsp.org/ron