VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim started, got diagnosed during process

Rate this question

babs1979

Question

It took me long time to get the courage to go to the VA. I started my claim to help me get motivated to go and finally get help. I went and was prescribed BUPROPION HCL and TRAZODONE HCL. I was diagnosed with Adult victim of sexual abuse during military service (SCT 718495005), Chronic post-traumatic stress disorder (SCT 313182004), Generalized anxiety disorder (SCT 21897009), Mild alcohol dependence (SCT 713583005), Severe major depression with psychotic features (SCT 73867007) and Sleep disorder (SCT 39898005). I added all of this to my claim. Is it too late for them to review it since they haven't reached a decision yet? 

My experience...no, never too late. The risk is moving a Fully Developed Claim (FDC) to a traditional claim, by adding new evidence. Things are moving quite briskly of late and I think it will have little, if any, affect on the timeline. In fact, if information arrives after a decision is made you can request a reconsideration. I would add it immediately. Good luck!

Nothing is brisker than 4 to 6 mos on an FDC Decision. It's your Claim, your Decision to send in more Evidence. You know the Risks of your FDC becoming a Reg A44 Claim which could take up to 18+ months for an Award/Denial Decision.

Keep in mind, the Rating Dept has had your FDC for "X" months and you haven't been advised of the need for any Additional Supportive Evidence, correct? You really want to take a chance on derailing an about to be, Decision.

Yea, we shouldn't discount the recent changes in the VA, however.  I've seen many comments about this and I can only speak to my experience in the San Diego region: I submitted 4 FDCs in the last 18 months. The first one took the longest (6 months) to decision....presumably because they had to gather all my records. The next 3 turned to tradition for one reason or another. Those only took weeks to decision. The last one I asked for a reconsideration and I think this will be decided within days.

My FDC for this same issue (sorry it happened to you as well) only took 8 months from the date filed. Because it needed a C&P exam it was changed from a FDC to a regular claim so I guess I was lucky in that it only took me 8 months. It was a favorable decision.

Thank you for sharing. I called the regional office again to clarify. They see the new information that I sent in from my Mental Health provider (myhealthyvet) and they said that it would be included in the decision process. I explained how I had my C&P exam before this and how my answers to diagnosis and medication are different, they said that they take all that into consideration and sometimes people don't need a C&P to get rated. I'm hoping this is true and that my claim is favorable. I've been denied in the past due to not making my appointments with Mental Health. I was discouraged with the process and not comfortable with talking with anyone. I finally went in and started treatment for Chronic post-traumatic stress disorder, Generalized anxiety disorder, Mild alcohol dependence, Severe major depression with psychotic features and Sleep disorder. Is this enough for them to rate me? and also has Adult victim of sexual abuse during military service in there as well. 

I went to the Regional Office and got a copy of my last C&P exam. This was before I submitted my diagnosis of Chronic post-traumatic stress disorder, Generalized anxiety disorder, Mild alcohol dependence, Severe major depression with psychotic features and Sleep disorder. They have that "The claimed condition was less likely than not (less than 50 percent) incurred in or caused by the claimed in-service injury, event or illness. provide rationale in section c. Veteran's symptoms do not meet criteria for ptsd under dsm-5 criteria. verteran has another mental disorder diagnosis. Continue to questionaire. Anxiety disorder. occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational tasks only during periods of significant stress, or symptoms controlled by medication. Stresser does meet criteria A. Is ther stressor related to in-service personal assault-yes. Criteria A- directly experiencing the tramatic event. Criteria B- Recurrent, involuntary and intrusive distressing memories of the tramatic event. recurrent distressing dreams in which the content and/or affect of the dream are related to the tramatic event. Citeria C- Avoidance of or efforts to avoid distressing memories, thoughts or feelings about or closely associated with the tramatic event. Criteria D- No criteria in this section met. Criteria E- Hypervigilance and sleep disturbance Criteria F- No criteria in this sectio nis met. Criteria H- The disturbance is not attributed to the physiological effects of substance or medical condition Criteria I- Stressor 1 Symptoms- Anxiety, Chronic Sleep impairment, Disturbances of motivation and mood, difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and socail relationships.Veteran's current symptoms fo not meet criteria for ptsd. 

Since this C&P appointment, I turned in my VA mental health records, a statement from my brother and husband. I also have my statement as well. I talked to a VA rep and they said my claim went back into gathering evidence phase since I turned in my new information. They also said that they requested a DBQ for PTSD. I hope this is a good sign.