VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What's the difference for Rerating PTSD SC's held for less than 5 yrs, BIG!?

Rate this question

Gastone

Question

Yesterday a Nam Vet (72 yrs) got in touch regarding a VA Notice of Intent to reduce his PTSD 70% SC (Awarded approx 2014) and his IU Award (Awarded after the PTSD). My immediate response was to tell him to have his VSR immediately File for a Reduction Hearing.

This Vet was beside himself, as I imagine most Vets receiving an Intent to Reduce would be. Turns out he has a 24 yr old daughter that has suffered since childhood with ADD. His VSR recommended that he File a Comp Claim on her behalf for Direct or Secondary AO SC of her MH problem. 

By all rights, this VET being 72, IU T & P No Future Exams Scheduled, should have been home free regarding any Reduction C & P for any of his SC'd conditions. He was, right up to filing the New Claim for his daughter about 7 mos ago. He recalls being called down to the Det VMC for a PTSD Exam, just didn't realize it could result in a PTSD Reduction.

3 weeks ago he received the "Intent to Reduce" based on the PTSD C & P. The Dr (Assume Psychiatrist) said in his determination the Vet had greatly improved and the DBQ ended up supporting a PTSD 10% SC Rating, WTF.

As it turns out, Vet's with SC PTSD Ratings  (or any other Condition) held for less than 5 years are subject to possible reduction based solely on a recent C & P PTSD EXAM or VMC MH Records. If a Vet has any Rating for 5+ years, the Rater has to review the VMC Record in its entirety and can't rely on a recent snapshot  C & P opinion. There has to be documented Medical Evidence demonstrating significant improvement over a long period of time.

Any Vet out there, had a similar Rating Reduction proposed?

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

rhdawds, I certainly understand just what you mean and feel.

Veterans also need to watch out what they say in clinical visits with their PCP or MH Phyistrist just for medications refills or bi- monthly check ups , they watch and listen to our every move or if we talk to other veterans in the waiting room they can misconstrue what we say  and how we act or judge our gait body language ect,,ect,,, and  make it out to be an ''Improvement''

I had a MH Phyistrist see me for PTSD Refills and general evaluation of my S.C. PTSD, She must have been spying on me b/c when she called me in her office  first thing she mention to me was

''I seen you was talking to another veteran in the waiting room''..I said well I answered him was about all, she said ''that is good your showing improvement '' keep it up''...I said well unfortunate for me I don't feel I am showing improvement and still need to gobble those anxiety pills down you prescribe to me & I take the Trazodone so I can try to sleep and the nightmares still come 3 /4 times a week, and the meds they don't seem to be working and some of the other  MH Pills I take don't seem to give me any relief, &Dr I do take all my medications you prescribe to me for my PTSD.  so I don't think I am Improving just from my perspective but I am not a license Dr  so what I think or my opinion don't mean much. but Doc I have good days and bad days more bad than good.

(The Doc just rolled her eyes and made lite of what I just mention)

But my point is I think the Dr's & L.C.S.W. are getting bonus for every Veteran that shows Improvement  and this is what starts the proposals to reduce a veterans benefits.

In my Opinion once a Veteran has proven his claim for what ever reasons or what ever the disability and is S.C. Rated (100%) , most  chronic/static S.C. Disability's are proven that they will never improve in the Veterans lifetime...then the VA should leave that Veteran alone  and  yes let him/her live out their life as they please.

Its a good Ideal for all  Veterans to get on Myhealtyvet after 3 days of any VA Clinical Visit and check the Dr's Notes...you maybe surprised at what they mention in there report.

jmo

On 10/15/2017 at 3:30 PM, Gastone said:

Is your TBI Rated in conjunction with PTSD? Generally speaking, PTSD Ratings for Vets under 55 always have a "Bulls Eye" on them for Re-Rates at 3 to 5 yr intervals.

Ask your POA VSR to eyeball your C-File for any "Diary Dated" scheduled Re-Exams.

Keep in mind the 72yr old Nam Vet I mentioned above. You file a New Secondary Claim, all bets are off, all SC's are open for Review.

I have had 2 C&P s for my PTSD and 3 for my TBI Residuals. Usually most would be scared but since I know I struggle with both I was able to make a journal for each and final exam for both issues which is another reason I was able to go from TDIU to scheduler instead of the opposite that and I had my spouse with me for the last exam for each the one issue since I always forget details...

Buck52, Thank you for your service and and especially the comments. I was recently granted 80% SC 70% for PTSD, 20% lower back, 20% spine/Neck and Tinnitus is deferred..  I have my 1st scheduled post SC appointments for back/neck and PTSD on Nov 14th, I will be very cautious while I am there. Sorry if that's offends anyone, but I'm not taking any chances.

Edited by rhdawgs