VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C & P EXAM within 48 hours

Rate this question

Grumpbox

Question

To ALL:

I realize this post may or may not be in the appropriate area; furthermore, please accept my apologies if I bend the rules or post out of context.  This is first post and done so under extreme circumstances.  Tbird...we spoke today via Linkedin, if you should see this entry, you know exactly who this is. 

SITUATION: I got blindsided by the VA a week ago.  They want 'another' C & P Exam for my PTSD.  This will be my second one since my medical retirement.  Currently, I am almost five years post retirement.  My first one was one year after retirement.  

A little bit about my past will follow shortly; however, my prompt here is to seek any advice for those recently interviewed by the VA for this procedure.  Don't get me wrong...I am NOT picky. There are many troops here that offer sage advice.  ***My C & P Exam is this Friday @ 1000hrs*** Thus, why so urgent.

Advice I am looking for: Any "do's" and "don't" regarding replies to questions.   Currently, I am 100% Post-PTSD with the NOS rating and the bells and whistles that accompany this disease.  I won't burden or bore the readers with my daily/nightly rituals, symptoms, fears, triggers, or how this change in lifestyle has negatively affected my well-being and that of others.  

Bottom Line: I am so worried the VA will suffocate my symptoms with regulatory rhetoric where they can justify a reduction in rating.  

From here I will cease writing details and leave time for Q & A from others.    

In advance - thank you for responding and offering any words of wisdom!!

GB...

• HadIt.com Elder

Usually after the first 2 years  a C&P is scheduled to see how your PTSD is doing...So your getting a C&P at 4 years. 

They will usually ask you how you been doing  and if your in theraphy sessions  VA or Private .

Just be honest with the examiner and  be polite answer the questions he /she ask you , make sure this examiner is qualified to render a MH  DSM5  PTSD Opinion.

They will be looking to see if you have any improvements  or have actually got worse  even though 100% is the limit  but if your PTSD has got worse you  could possibly get an increase with P&T.

If you are about the same as you were when you was diagnose and rated for the 100% PTSD  Unless your superman  I would not worry to much about his C&P  Just remember the Examiner is looking to see if you have Improved/ or got worse  but mostly they  are looking to see if you shown an improvement..so just be careful with your Answers...Never say things like your feeling better  ect,,ect,,  things I would suggest is just simply answer the questions and if they ask you how you been doing just say well I have good days and bad days mostly bad days...I take my medications as directed by my MH Provider and I am currently in Therapy...with( VA or Private)

just be yourself  if your nervous or move around a lot or seem confused just let go with the flow.

other members please chime in.

Yes, be honest.  Have an answer to "How are you today?"

"Fine" is probably not a good answer.  Better is somthing like:

"Much better today, after "Thursday's ordeal".   Then tell him what happend on your worst day, "Thursday".    Think about it.  If you got in a fight with your wife on thursday, and the cops were called, then its not a good idea to tell him you feel great today, without telling him what happened on Thursday. 

If you just say you are "fine", then you will be backpedaling the whole time. 

To reiterate, dont lie, but do tell your worst day.  If your worst day was last month, then so state.   

• HadIt.com Elder

yeah I was counting your year out of retirement on the 5 years.=4

AnywayI totally agree with broncovet. WHEN THEY ASK YOU HOW YOUR FEELING.Never say fine more on the note of ''Not so good Sir''

If you were turned away from your VA MH Dept to be seen about your S.C.PTSD ...you need to tell your VA Hospital Administrator  or Director..if that don't work call the VA Secretary Shelkin officeor email them and let them know  how you was turn away from your VA MC. for appointment for treatment. 

If a VA Hospital Offical knows there hospital is going to be dealing with the VA Secretary OFFICE OR OIG OFFICE  they will bend over backwards to accommodate your medical needs physically or mentally.

This is Unacceptable. period.

Buck52 - thank you so much for replying and adding your input!

A few replies follow.  

Actually, this is a C&P Exam at almost five years since retirement.  Regarding the therapy sessions, meds, VA vistis, etc.  

Note:  When I first retired, I was prescribed several meds and saw the VA for PTSD.  However, about two to three years following my retirement, I had no luck getting an appointment at a major VA Center, i.e. Nashville or Murfressboro, TN.  I would try to get an apt mind you; however, the VA kept giving me the same song and dance: "We are sorry, but we are at full capacity and cannot accommodate other appointments here."  Since this negative encounter with the VA, I chose with time to drop my meds, cope internally, get by, and deal with things on my own, which, obviously, I've learned have worsened...

Having said this, I am curious now if the VA will view my lack of counseling and medication as a sign of improvement????

Thoughts or comments??

I will admit, I was pissed when I couldn't get an apt for my PTSD.  If I had to speculate, my thoughts were: "Well, the hell with them."  Now I hope I am not caught with my pants down, and the VA has room to reduce my compensation based on not seeking help...

Edited by Grumpbox

11 minutes ago, broncovet said:

Yes, be honest.  Have an answer to "How are you today?"

"Fine" is probably not a good answer.  Better is somthing like:

"Much better today, after "Thursday's ordeal".   Then tell him what happend on your worst day, "Thursday".    Think about it.  If you got in a fight with your wife on thursday, and the cops were called, then its not a good idea to tell him you feel great today, without telling him what happened on Thursday. 

If you just say you are "fine", then you will be backpedaling the whole time. 

To reiterate, dont lie, but do tell your worst day.  If your worst day was last month, then so state.   

Broncovet - Many thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my concerns!!

I've seen this advice in many venues...answering the: "How are you today" question.  I love the way you break it down to a specific event.  

My problem however, is I was always the 'go to guy' who never need reward or wanted a hand out.  Being completely honest about my situation will be a tough for me, because I've been programmed to be positive, not show weakness, or exhibit any deficiencies in my work ethics.  To be completely honest, I am embarrassed to show someone I've never met what's going on in my head or world for that matter.  I sure this exam will be lengthy where they can allow me to open up some....

I appreciate your input - duly noted!!

GB

4 hours ago, Buck52 said:

yeah I was counting your year out of retirement on the 5 years.=4

AnywayI totally agree with broncovet. WHEN THEY ASK YOU HOW YOUR FEELING.Never say fine more on the note of ''Not so good Sir''

If you were turned away from your VA MH Dept to be seen about your S.C.PTSD ...you need to tell your VA Hospital Administrator  or Director..if that don't work call the VA Secretary Shelkin officeor email them and let them know  how you was turn away from your VA MC. for appointment for treatment. 

If a VA Hospital Offical knows there hospital is going to be dealing with the VA Secretary OFFICE OR OIG OFFICE  they will bend over backwards to accommodate your medical needs physically or mentally.

This is Unacceptable. period.

Funny you mention that Buck, I was considering doing just that!  I just wish I had a little more time for this 105 round to hit the VA.  My C&P is this Friday at 1000hrs.  Thanks though Buck!  Great points!!