VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Phone call from VA - Appeal Closed - Check on the way?

Rate this question

WomanMarine

Question

I received a call from the St. Louis RO this morning. I was told I was 'granted' but was not given more information.

My bank changed hands this week and I needed to update my electronic deposit information. I logged into ebenefits and saw that my original info had been deleted. It stated that I elected to receive payment by mail. I called Peggy who said my claim may have just been approved, as he could not find paperwork on it, at this point. I guess after all these years I can wait a few more days, but it seems after reading these forums that the first clue of an award is checking ones bank account.

I was also told that I may have not got what I wanted, as I was applying for both knees, one of which is service connected, the other has arthritis because of my SC knee. I was told that my VSO did not put in a claim for secondary, but it does state it in my appeal. According to ebenefits, it appears that they granted my original claim and not the appeal.

Would the VA just look at the original DoD rating of 10% in 1975? Or would they consider my recent C&P and upgrade my percentage for the one knee?

Has anyone received their initial check by mail?

If so, how long did it take? I ask this, as I had to file a financial hardship

Thanks for your thoughts!

My advice is if you "have" a working bank account, update those details ASAP under ebenefits.  If you dont have one, then you will have to receive your benefits via a check.  Its always faster if you have electronic deposits, so put any "new" bank you have in the system.  TRIPLE check your account numbers, then have your husband check it also.  If you have one digit wrong, your money can wind up in Never never land.  

1 hour ago, broncovet said:

My advice is if you "have" a working bank account, update those details ASAP under ebenefits.  If you dont have one, then you will have to receive your benefits via a check.  Its always faster if you have electronic deposits, so put any "new" bank you have in the system.  TRIPLE check your account numbers, then have your husband check it also.  If you have one digit wrong, your money can wind up in Never never land.  

This problem is not the VA, but my darn bank deciding to sell itself in the process ... Seems I always have the luck :(

It is weird how they are settling the claim, almost like they are vacating the 1980 decision. 

I found out the medical records that they claimed to have reviewed in 1980 are no longer in existence. So I guess the question is, were they destroyed prior to the 1980 decision? If so, would that amount to a CUE? Does the VA every find a CUE on its own, or does it require another claim?

Thanks, as always, Brocovet!

Oorah!

BTW ~ Navy Widow.

And they said the Marines and Navy don't mix ... Lol!

Pending Disability.png

Edited by WomanMarine
Update info

WomanMarine,

I am glad that something is happening with your case(s).  Whether you get what you think or more or less, the most important thing is that your in the system.  And service connected for something.

Now the hard work starts, increases, secondaries, EED's, etc., etc...

Happy for you,

Hamslice

Keep posting what you find out, its a good read..

2 hours ago, Hamslice said:

WomanMarine,

I am glad that something is happening with your case(s).  Whether you get what you think or more or less, the most important thing is that your in the system.  And service connected for something.

Now the hard work starts, increases, secondaries, EED's, etc., etc...

Happy for you,

Hamslice

Keep posting what you find out, its a good read..

Thank you Hamslice! 

I got a call from VA yesterday afternoon.  From the conversation I believe that I gleaned the fact that they were finally approving my DoD rating of 10% and have one or two other items on deferment. She also said that I could apply, now, for Voc Rehab ... I really wish they would have figured this out in 1976 ... but that is life. I am just finally happy to get the VA to admit that I am a disabled vet; especially after all of these years!

I have ordered my CFile and will be counting on you guys and this excellent forum to help guide me, as my VSO seems to be as useless as a tit on a boar ... :(

Oh and just an FYI ... On the last conversation I had with the VA I was told that the WH wanted an update on my case. I guess it pays to call D.C. and maybe our President is really trying to change the VA? IDK, but glad that 'hotline' was there and they have been following up with me.

Semper Fi!

=)

Edited by WomanMarine
Typo