VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retro Refund VA Home Loan Fee?

Rate this question

mrstephens11

Question

I bought a house with the VA Home Loan shortly before the VA awarded me 80% Service Connection.  I just noticed that this fee is waved for Disabled Vets (https://www.benefits.va.gov/HOMELOANS/purchaseco_loan_fee.asp).  Since my award was retro active for almost a decade and well past the time I purchased the house, can I get the 2.15% fee back?  How do I go about getting that back?

Sorry if this is the wrong spot to post this.

Thank you,

Stephens

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I just experienced this:- twice ..... 

I purchased a home before my IU - was awarded - I sent the original letter to my local appraisal office - took about 2 months and they backdated my "homestead" criteria to before I purchased meaning -

I received a check for ANY taxes I paid. - $3500. Blessed

I recently sold that home, & the title company told me I would have to pay taxes on the new home but would probably be reimbursed after the first of the year. 

I proactively sent them the same letter ( notarized) for the IU award and was forgiven all taxes based on my situation :) 

Hope this helps. "it was simple as downloading the appraisal form for the exemption- notarizing it- sending it " - I then received a letter stating they understood and acknowledged my tax exemption.

Blessed Thankful Grateful! Texas Veterans are truly Blessed 

Thank you for the response "L".  I'm glad you mentioned this.  I will see if I can get some of my tax money back as well.  That would been nice.

Update on the refund:  It will take the loan company 30 - 60 business days for the turn around.  I assume that part of that is turn around for the VA.

Also since I payed zero down and rolled the fee into the loan, the money will be refunded to the mortgage and not directly back to me.  It all has to do with how the fee was paid.  If you paid the fee out of your pocket you would be due for cash back.

Cheers,

Stephens

I put 20 percent down,

in Texas utilizing the Texas Veterans Land Board Loan process ( not my VA) I paid no- (100% DV)  fees 

- so none to roll back into the loan. Great input -

read the closing statements carefully when you are purchasing - the excitement gets in the way of reading the numbers - I caught a $1200 error in my other home closing - :) I am a saver not a spender so ..... LOL they just had to redo the paper and the closing continued - I got a check ...... focus. 

L

Good Luck to all going through the same process - paying it forward. 

Well, it's been more than 60 days since I asked my load company.  I sent them another message on the 26th and I haven't heard back yet.  I imagine it's because of the holiday season.  I hope to hear good news later this week.

So I checked back after 60 days and after many emails saying that I would get answer in 24 hours, I got a phone call.  The load company sent my paper work to the wrong department and told me that I would have to wait another 30-60 days.  Seems the loan company is taking a page from the VA's playbook...

I'll report back when I know more,

Stephens