VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diagnosis Service connected 7 years Later

Rate this question

brokj

Question

Hey folks new here

I was Diagnosed with adjustment disorder with anxiety and depressed mood / occupational problem.

I tried to file for benefits IDK if I did before I got out. Someone told me to go to the VA and I did they told me to go see a private doctor and then apply.

I was broke within a month after I was discharged and never saw a doc for about 7 years.

I finialy hit a rock bottom so I applied anyway with 17 different Ebenfits Problems.

I also have not recieved a letter notifying me of the decision.

I recieved a letter saying I qualified for disabled va life insurance

I recieved a call from va health care welcoming me to va health care

Disability Rating Decision Related To Effective Date
drug abuse   Willful Misconduct    

phobic anxiety disorder unspecified also claimed as (nervousness, bipolar disorder, memory loss, and post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)) 10% Service Connected   06/09/2017
eye condition, left eye   Not Service Connected    
sleep apnea   Not Service Connected    
non-specific digestive complaints   Not Service Connected    
alcohol abuse   Willful Misconduct    
right wrist condition   Not Service Connected    
back condition   Not Service Connected    
nutritional deficiency   Not Service Connected    

so After this Im Considering appealing For either more benefire or retro pay. since I dont remember If i filed for va compensation before i was discharged I know I spoke with the VA IDK how to find out if I did.

I also have A VSO who wouldnt answer an email from me but ID like to know if I could get any GI Bills I was give an GENERAL(UNder honorable conditions) discharge and donno if it could get upgraded.

Either way I never expected to get service connected years later im just learning about all this stuff now years later

Edited by brokj

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Welcome to hadit.    Based upon what you posted you were rated 10 percent for a phobic disorder, effective June, 2017, so you should have a few hundered in retro pay coming.  

Yes, after you get your decision, you probably need to consider appealing both the disability percentages, the denial of SC, and the effective datees.  

We can not help you remember whether you applied when you got out of service.  Did you get any documents?  Did you talk to a VSO?  Maybe he or she has a record.  You could try looking in your old documents to see if its there.  

Did you mention this to your spouse or family?  Maybe they can help.  

I noticed they listed alcohol abuse as "willful misconduct" (WM) .  Did you order a copy of your file?  WM is a determination made by your doctor AT THAT TIME.   The VA can not decide now that it was WM, unless there is evidence.  

Once you get your decision, you can remove your name and address and post it, and hadit members may help you in appealing.  You need to file a NOD within a year of the decision.  Dont wait, once you get the decision, if you dispute it, file a nod.  Its not that hard.  You fill out a form and send it in.  

• HadIt.com Elder

brokj 

Are you service connected and rated for any of the conditions you have?

if not  you either need to call the 1-800 # and ask about all the information you need....if its been 7 years ago  your Notice of Disagreement as run out.

If I was you I would gather up all your medical records VA AND PRIVATE and scat down to your local  VA Regional Office and ask to see a VSO

Take any information you have on this

The VSO can pull your C-FILE if its there?

and let them know all about what you just posted here on hadit.

If you have a E-BENEFITS INTERNET PREMIUM  ACCOUNT you can check that....if you don't I recommend you go to your R.O.

• HadIt.com Elder

''I recieved a letter saying I qualified for disabled va life insurance''

Take this letter with you  its a very important piece of information.

usually this letter means your either TDIU P&T or 100% P&T

thanks for all the help folks,

I saw on E bennies the prep for notification go to decicion letter sent ? like 4 weeks ago nothing in the mail yet except the health/life insurance jargon

the ebenefits disabilites popped up with what i put above and a 10%

I recieved 3 months of 10% 133~  4 weeks ago

I have A stack of old paperwork documenting the day I entered to the day I was discharged.

I was in the navy still when I believe i created an E benefits Login. So i May have just looked into filing and decided not to, for some reason I thought you could only file once ever. So I think I decided to wait until I had more Medical Evidence.

My Family Currently is becoming educated about Veterans benefits through me.

I did mention Alcohol abuse was not service connected and was labled misconduct. This is funny as I was reporting that I had alcohol abuse today 7 years after my discharge. So my Drinking to "A good buzz" at 26 yrs old Every night is willful misconduct

"Once I get my Decicision".... is this the brown envelope everyone talks about? I have "not"  recieved a letter in the Mail stating their deciscio?n i or the percentage they came to. 

I watched Ebenefits for 3 months painfully but Strangely i feel like it went rather quickly Since The problem persisted for 7 years until I finialy said hell with the Doctors and filed on my own. went down to see a VSO he looked at me like i was Insane. He literaly said ""this claim will get denied" ,  then you can appeal it with more evidence after going to a doctor and getting a diagnosis"

The C&P Exam was Really Short I feel like I didnt get to anything in particular just grazed over my entire life it seemed like.

A therapist mentioned the Diagnosis is kinda an "Open Ended" one saying "its probably being left open for more input" the vets center therapist was not able to find anything about me getting service connected or the C&P exam.

this makes me believe I have a long road to go until I should rest my case against the VA

Updates Actions
06/12/2017 Compensation 09/26/2017
  • Attention: Development Letter Sent Development Letter Sent
  • Attention: Decision Notification Sent Decision Notification Sent

View Appeal Status

EDIT? 10/25/17

the Va chat bot told me they mailed the decicision letter a Month ago and to wait 10 business days for it to arrive. So they said they would send another letter.

Edited by brokj

''I recieved a letter saying I qualified for disabled va life insurance''

The VA disabled VA life insurance letter comes after you get a new service connected disability.

If you get a letter stating the premiums are waived, that indicates 100% P&T.  

From the S-DVI website:

You are eligible for S-DVI if you meet ALL of the following criteria:

• You were released from active duty under other than dishonorable conditions on or after April 25, 1951
  • You were rated for a service-connected disability (even if only 0%)
  • You are in good health except for any service-connected conditions
  • You apply within 2 years from the date VA grants your new service-connected disability