VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

CPTSD, VA is now recognizing it.

Rate this question

Andyman73

Question

Now that the VA is officially recognizing CPTSD, or complex-PTSD, does anybody have any understanding or knowledge regarding this? And if so, How do we get our therapists to assess us for cptsd? 

Thank you for reading this. Info regarding CPTSD can be found here;

https://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/ptsd-overview/complex-ptsd.asp

Edited by Andyman73
added link

Tbird,

Pretty sure you meant assesses,

Not asses, I had to look it up as I didn't think it was a word.  It is a word and not pretty. 

Not being critical or a spelling Nazi, its just my mom was an English teacher and once and a while I have a flashback, and then my OCD kicks in and I can't proceed without fixing. 

LOL.

Hamslice

Under the rating schedule, all mental health disorders, once service connected, are rated the same, and are based on symptoms.  For rating purposes, it does not matter if you have PTSD, MST, depression, bipolar, etc.  While your doctor can diagnose multiple mental health disorders, for rating only ONE set of symptoms will be used.  In other words, you wont get a rating of "total occupational impairment" for both PTSD and depression for example.  

If you are talking about treatement also, I am pretty sure the VA treats all of them (and I will include complexPTSD) close to the same:  

1.  Their first line is pretty much pills.  

2.  Therapy sessions.  

3.   From the VA standpoint, these 2 consist of 90 percent or more of the therapy.   The VA pretty much "doesnt go" to alternative therapies.  There are many.  Exercise.  Magnetic Therapy.  Aroma Therapy.

Massage Therapy (Healing touch).  Nutritional Therapy.  Chirpopractic Therapy.  Accupuncture/Accupressure.  Holostic Therapy.  Enzyme Therapy.  I have even seen "horse therapy", and people swear that works..you go to a horse farm, and ride the horse and build a relationship with your horse.  There are many others, I just can not think of them now.    Some people even benefit from a trained dog, and companiion.  At the very least the animals can provide relief from lonliness that sometimes occurs.  

Edited by broncovet