VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Certified Audiologist vs VA audiologist

Rate this question

Heller

Question

I submitted a fully-developed claim which included audiology results from a certified Au.D.:

Average of 1k, 2k, 3k, 4k = 58 in best ear. Speech recognition 55% & 65%

The VA made me take a test with their (outsourced) audiologist, unknown credentials:

Average of 1k, 2k, 3k, 4k = 56 in best ear. Speech recognition 94% & 94%!

How could there be such a discrepancy? Is this enough to appeal, or should I get another audiologist?

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The VA C & P Hearing Test requires a Recorded Word Recognition Test. Was your C & P Word Recognition test based on a Recording or did the examiner speak the test words to you?

As to your Frequency Range, it's a computer-generated test, the results are the results, based on your responses.

Did you also file a claim for Tinnitus? Completely separate Rating of SC 10% (one or both ears) if Awarded.

To refute VA's audiologist, you may consider a 3rd audiologist.  As Gastone indicated, the tests must be done to "VA specificiations", that is, the "Maryland CNC test".   Or, you can move forward and try to get VA to give you the benefit of the doubt with the higher evaluation.  

The difference between 56 and 58 is unlikely that much.  However, the difference in speech discrimination is HUGE.  

While I have not seen this large of a discrepency..my hearing tests are consistent over the past 19 years, with about 5 different audiologists, some va and some not va, this needs resolved. 

The good news is that you can often get an audio report at little or no cost..from audiologists who run hearing tests to sell hearing aids.  That is where they get there money..selling hearing aids.  

I do not recommend you hornswaggle the private audiologist..but, after you get your retro...pay him a fair price and expalin VA pays for your hearing aids.  The audiologist deserves 100 to 200 dollars for a hearing test with report.  You have to make sure they use the VA method, or its no good.  You can look on your current audio report..or call him..and ask him if he used the maryland cnc test. 

Medical evidence is medical evidence.  It should not matter the source..VA or private, especially since VA trains private audiologists, and VA audiologists are sometimes trained by private audiologists.  They need only be "competent" to offer an expert audologist opinion.  

Edited by broncovet

To refute VA's audiologist, you may consider a 3rd audiologist.  As Gastone indicated, the tests must be done to "VA specificiations", that is, the "Maryland CNC test".   Or, you can move forward and try to get VA to give you the benefit of the doubt with the higher evaluation.  

The difference between 56 and 58 is unlikely that much.  However, the difference in speech discrimination is HUGE.  

While I have not seen this large of a discrepency..my hearing tests are consistent over the past 19 years, with about 5 different audiologists, some va and some not va, this needs resolved. 

The good news is that you can often get an audio report at little or no cost..from audiologists who run hearing tests to sell hearing aids.  That is where they get there money..selling hearing aids.  

I do not recommend you hornswaggle the private audiologist..but, after you get your retro...pay him a fair price and expalin VA pays for your hearing aids.  The audiologist deserves 100 to 200 dollars for a hearing test with report.  You have to make sure they use the VA method, or its no good.  You can look on your current audio report..or call him..and ask him if he used the maryland cnc test.  

Medical evidence is medical evidence.  It should not matter the source..VA or private, especially since VA trains private audiologists, and VA audiologists are sometimes trained by private audiologists.  They need only be "competent" to offer an expert audologist opinion.  

In the SRT using the Maryland CNC, I did not respond at all if I did not understand the test word, only responded if I could actually hear the word. I know I didn't respond to many of the words, but my speech recognition was graded at 94%. I now suspect that the blank responses were not counted as a failure to hear, but were simply ignored, and only my actual responses were used for the 94% grade. Should I have said, "can't hear that" or something for each of the unknown words?

Have you received a Denial Letter yet? If not, you might be jumping the gun.

I think your VA Computer determined Frequency Decibel Hearing Loss probably didn't support a "I didn't hear that." You may or may not remember the VA C & P Clinician instructing you to say the recorded word you hear, even if it's a guess. Those words you responded too, were obviously correct.

How about posting a redacted copy of your C & P and Denial?

Did you also Claim an SC for Tinnitus?

Over the years I've had a number of the "Free" Costco, Sam's Club and other Hearing aid Co's Hearing tests, none ever used the Maryland CNC criteria or for that matter any type of Recorded Word Recognition test. Never more that 30 or 40 spoken words but always advised to guess if unsure.

My 1st actual Hearing Loss and Tinnitus DX was by a private ENT back in 09. The actual Hearing test was conducted by a non-medical State Certified Hearing Testing Clinician. Spoken word testing was within a couple points of the VA Recorded Word and the Freq loss was almost identical.

Have you applied for Hearing aids at the VA, they'll test you again?