VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD long time without care

Rate this question

Justme

Question

Hi. I was approved for 30% PTSD rating back in 2011 and my life has been in a spiral since. It started off little by little and progressively got worse. I've been to jail 3 times since then. Each time was alcohol related.  DUI, drunk in public and misdemeanor vandalism. I stopped going to get VA and later became homeless. Stopped my meds and have not been on them in over a year. 

At the urging of friends and family I am going to seek help from the VA again and have an appointment soon. 

I've read its best to have recent medical history to put in a claim to request an increase in my rating and wanted to know if it is better to wait or not. My living situation is dire and I'm sick of being homeless and being stressed out every single day. I am 46 and too old for this shit...

I have been added to some HUD list for veterans but there is a wait. I'm currently waiting on word about transitional housing until I'm approved. Does anyone have experience in that kind of living arrangement? 

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If I were you I would check in with AA.   People with PTSD/MST and all sorts of other mental health issues self-medicate with alcohol.   This is such a common and well known symptom, but the VA loves to slam vets with drug or alcohol issues and not look beyond the symptoms.  After you get a roof over your head or even before go to AA.  The VA can help you dry out but that is where it usually ends. 

You need to apply for VA pension ASAP.  This assumes:

1.  You are a "wartime" Vet.

2.  You make little or no money, and you have little or no money.  

This may be the thing to keep you from being homeless during the long fight for benefits.  

I applied for NSC pension after about 2 years as I did not know what it was, and I did not know I had to apply for it seperately.  For me, it didnt arrive soon enough and I lost my home.  It took VA 3 years to deliver any money at all, and I could not keep my home with no income for 3 years.  

My doctor told me to do that.  He was correct.  

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with broncovet

Also as Ms T Bird says

''Knowledge is Power''

stay on hadit and you will soon learn that!

From the VA website 

"

You must also be:

• Age 65 or older with limited or no income, OR
  • Totally and permanently disabled, OR
  • A patient in a nursing home receiving skilled nursing care, OR
  • Receiving Social Security Disability Insurance, OR
  • Receiving Supplemental Security Income"