Jump to content
  • Latest Donations

  • Advertisemnt

  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims


    When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Ads

  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

  • Available Subscriptions

  • Donation Box

    Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Searches Community Forums, Blog and more


I separated from active duty service in the Air Force with in 2010 and had undiagnosed non-combat military connected PTSD with alcohol use in remission (According to my VA disability paperwork which puts me at 50% for ptsd.) This was granted the beginning of last year. I recently put in to have my discharge upgraded to honorable from general and have yet to hear back from them. (E-benefits say maybe I'll hear about it early February 2018.)

There were a few selfmedicated incidents with alcohol that happened while I was active duty that resulted in going into a civilian rehabilitation facility, a perscription to an antidepressant, and a lot of suicidal ideation I recently admitted in my paperwork to the review board that I was afraid to admit to my command because they would do things like write someone up for a sunburn (destruction of government property), or purposefully keep spouses apart by writing one up for something they didn't do and keep them from going during their significant others' PCS (because someone else did it to them for five years and "they turned out fine"(There was no way to prove otherwise.)).

I was recently reading about medical retirement from the military. It's a little confusing. I was wondering if there was a way to submit for reconsideration and medically retire from the military after separation?



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0

There is a way to appeal your discharge character but you must go before the BCMR.   They are not appellant friendly.  You probably need a lawyer.  I tried it within one year after discharge and went to Discharge Review Board and got my general changed to Honorable.  When you deal with BCMR it is a different world.  The assumption is you got exactly what you deserved.  No benefit of doubt or duty to assist that I know of in those cases.  They were arrogant, high handed ands nasty to me.  My service connection was effective one day after discharge, but I lost at BCMR.     What would honorable get you besides General Under Honorable?  You will need to prove a mistake was made when you got discharged.  Did you get general under honorable conditions.?  There was a vet here who got their honorable changed to medical with pension.  He is the only one I know that ever did it.




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • 0

They gave me General Under Honorable Conditions when I was discharged. (Two months before I was supposed to non-voluntarily separate early as Honorable (Due to troop cutbacks. I submitted a copy of the preseparation paperwork saying Honorable to them as well)) I heard or read somewhere a while ago about getting education benefits back if the discharge is upgraded to Honorable, but the person upgraded still has to apply with the VA to verify eligibility. I was hoping for that or maybe medical. The internet doesn't say a lot about medical discharges other than the process to get one as an active duty member.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

  Like I say you will probably need a lawyer if you have to deal with Board of Corrections of Military Records.  They are mean and nasty and don't give a rat's ass about you, MF6.  I experienced it with them.  They lied and screwed me over in every way possible.  If you had appealed your discharge within I think it is three years it would have probably been easier.  You must prove your discharge was in error.   You probably signed something saying you agreed to take the General under Honorable and they will use that like a confession to a murder.   I am sure you were F'ed over but you must prove it.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I Agree with john999

I have been dealing with those yahooos for over 4 years to get my DD-214   I sent in a request for correction to Straighten it out and corrected.

before my Vietnam service, I was in Germany before sent to Vietnam and my Germany service is not on my DD-214 and I even submitted records from my old unit I was in and anything to prove where I was and who I served with the locations close approx dates ect,,ect,, I even  copied some older hand written D'r s notes with dates and my unit FROM Germany my name on it what I was being treated for ect,,ect,,, out of my C-File  and submitted  it  which I was certain that was all they needed.....nope came back denied lack of evidence,  I ask them what more prof you need? they need letter head documentation in bold print and all the information from that...these guys are not like submitting documentation for a Claim.

I finally said just forget it  this is all BS.

They sent me a letter saying my request has been denied , if you can provide any evidence to substantiate your request please submit  other wise your request for correction of your DD214 Will be closed.

Edited by Buck52

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Ads

  • Ad

  • Latest News
  • Our picks

    • SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Ad Free Subscriptions to the Forum available
      Ad free subscriptions are available for the forum. Subscriptions give you the forums ad free and help support the forum and site. Monthly $5 Annually $50 https://community.hadit.com/subscriptions/

      Every bit helps - Thank you.

      • 0 replies
    • Choosing a VA Disability Attorney Means Learning What Questions to Ask
      Choosing a VA Disability Attorney Means Learning What Questions to Ask. Chris Attig - Veterans Law Blog 

      <br style="color:#000000; text-align:start">How to Hire an Attorney For Your VA Claim or Appeal Free Guidebook available on the Veterans Law Blog

      I got an email the other day from a Veteran.  It had 2 or 3 sentences about his claim, and then closed at the end: “Please call me. So-and-so told me you were the best and I want your help.”

      While I appreciate the compliments, I shudder a little at emails like this.  For 2 reasons.

      First, I get a lot of emails like this.  And while I diligently represent my clients – I often tell them we will pursue their claim until we have no more appeals or until we win – I am most assuredly not the best.

      There are a LOT of damn good VA Disability attorneys out there.  (Most, if not all, of the best are members of the National Organization of Veterans Advocates…read about one of them, here)

      Second, I don’t want Veterans to choose their attorney based on who their friend thought was the best.  I want Veterans to choose the VA Disability attorney who is BEST for their case.

      In some situations, that may be the Attig Law Firm.

      But it may also be be Hill and Ponton, or Chisholm-Kilpatrick, or Bergman Moore.  Or any one of the dozens of other attorneys who have made the representation of Veterans their professional life’s work.

      There are hundreds of attorneys that are out there representing Veterans, and I’m here to tell you that who is best for your friend’s case may not be the best for your case.

      How do you Find the Best VA Disability Attorney for your Claim?

      First, you have to answer the question: do you NEED an attorney?

      Some of you don’t...
      • 1 reply
    • VA Emergency Medical Care
      VA Emergency Medical Care
      • 3 replies
    • Veterans Appeals Improvement and Modernization Act
      Veterans Appeals Improvement and Modernization Act
      • 1 reply
    • Thanks Berta for your help. I did receive my 100% today for my IU claim on 6/20/2018. It only took 64 days to complete and it is p&t. Thanks for your words of wisdom. 

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines